Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Shigeo Nagashima

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Shigeo Nagashima
Well, you've got Japan's best third baseman, with five MVPs, and he almost certainly would have had more Gold Gloves had they started the award earlier. He also had decent speed on the bases and drew lots of walks. The two close possibilities would be Brett and, if we don't require ourselves to strictly stay within the same position but can include the "most similar position," could also include Wagner (more on this in the future since Japan has so few highly rated shortstops).

While these are good correlations, I think Mike Schmidt would have to be the better one. I can't see Brett deserving five MVPs (but Total Baseball has Schmidt as being the best position player seven times) and I don't think Brett quite dominated his position like Schmidt (and Nagashima) did.
Comments
Re: Shigeo Nagashima
[ Author: Guest: Jim Albright | Posted: Jan 9, 2004 1:43 AM ]

- [...] (more on this in the future since Japan has so few highly rated shortstops).

I tried to make clear in my ratings article that the system I used was seriously flawed with respect to its handling of defensive prowess. This caused serious difficulties with the second base, shortstop, and the catcher positions. In fact, with the availablity of the "short-form" win shares system, I have been able to get a pretty good handle on the issue, at least in terms of being fair to different defensive positions.

The system I'm using to redo the ratings still is weak in terms of differentiating between the defensive skills of players at the same position (largely due to lack of data), but it is miles better than the previous system.

If you used a similar system to the one I used in 2001, you'd find that few MLB shortstops, second basemen, or catchers (even legitimate HOFers) would do well. The same thing goes for NPB players. It may take a couple more months to finalize everything in the system I'm now using, but I believe the results will be worth it.

Jim Albright
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.