Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Kazuhisa Inao

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Kazuhisa Inao
Kazuhisa Inao is one of Japan's best all-time pitchers, but a little farther down the list on career milestones. Still did well in terms of wins, ERA, strikeouts, and innings. He didn't have the longevity of Kaneda, was more like a star that burned brilliantly for a somewhat short period of time. That would seem to have him correlate with Lefty Grove.

For those who want him to correlate with a right-hander, I might go with Christy Mathewson or Tom Seaver.
Comments
Re: Kazuhisa Inao
[ Author: PLNara | Posted: Jan 15, 2004 3:19 AM | HT Fan ]

I would have to respectfully disagree. I think that Inao was truly a unique pitcher. Just look at the season he had when he threw 404 innings with 1.69 ERA. He releved, and started, and threw 24 complete games. He won 42 games, but also had 8 ties. That's 50 decisions that he didn't lose. That's amazing.

I suppose you could draw some kind of parallel between him and Denny McClain, but Inao certainly lasted longer. Wilbur Wood was similiar in that he threw a huge number innings as a starter and reliever, but he was nowhere near as good as Inao.

I hope this study you're doing highlights some of the points that makes it independant from MLB. The leagues are balanced differently and the style of play is different as well. All of the players you've studied were stars in there own right, and great in their own ways.
[ Author: Guest: Jim Albright | Posted: Jan 15, 2004 10:30 AM ]

Actually, Lefty Grove is a nice comparison, as Lefty also started and relieved in a time in which hitters could reach the seats, and also had some monster seasons.

Jim Albright
[ Author: GottaHaveWa | Posted: Jan 15, 2004 11:40 PM ]

PLNara, you're saynig Inao had a season when he had an extremely low ERA and hardly lost. Take a look at Grove in 1931, when he won 31 and lost 4, had almost 300 innings, had twenty-seven complete games, a 2.06 ERA when the league average was 4.38 (and he was close in 1930, too). You're trying to compare one season rather than a whole career.
[ Author: PLNara | Posted: Jan 17, 2004 3:06 AM | HT Fan ]

Well, I can't argue with that. Lefty Grove was a great pitcher, and he had a great year in 1931. I just think Inao is kind of beyond comparison, and he's one of the players who gives NPB it's unique history.

Inao had eight consecutive 20-win seasons, including four 30-win seasons. When he was playing, NPB had a 130-game schedule, so winning a high number of games had an even greater impact than it would've had in MLB.

Inao, for eight seasons, was a pretty unbelievable ace and workhorse. You might be able to find a statistical match, but I think it would be a lot tougher to find a pitcher who was of similar value to his team. As I said before, no disrespect to Grove, or anyone else.
[ Author: GottaHaveWa | Posted: Jan 17, 2004 10:21 AM ]

Grove had seven consecutive 20-win years, then another two years later. But maybe you have a point, maybe I need to be looking at the older American pitchers who were workhorses?
[ Author: Guest: Jim Albright | Posted: Jan 18, 2004 1:02 AM ]

YouGottaHaveWa wrote:

- Grove had seven consecutive 20-win years, then another two years later. But maybe you have a point, maybe I need to be looking at the older American pitchers who were workhorses?"

Inao was right handed and Grove a lefty, but Grove is still about as good a choice as there is because:
  1. he played in a time when hitters could put the ball in the seats, which deadball pitchers didn't face,
  2. Grove was a starter who also served as a closer, which wasn't done much in the deadball era, and
  3. Grove is the best of the pitchers used that way in that time.
Inao didn't face as many players capable of hitting homers as Grove did, and the pitchers had much better circumstances in the late 1950's and 60's in Japan than Grove faced from the mid 1920's to WW II -- and those are the reasons Inao could pitch so many more innings a season than Grove. Otherwise, Inao was the very best Japanese starter/closer ever in NPB, just like Grove was the best ever in that role in the majors.

Jim Albright
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.