Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Larry Barnes

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Larry Barnes
Can someone do me a huge favor that has access to box scores or clips on the Buffalos? I am a cousin of Larry Barnes, who is playing for them. I want to keep up to date on how he is doing in Japan, but can't find any good sites in English to keep track of him. If someone can help me keep up to date I would greatly appreciate it. E-mail me any news you have on him.

Thanks

tb
lil_fish_catcher at yahoo d0t com
Comments
Re: Larry Barnes
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Mar 11, 2004 9:19 AM | YBS Fan ]

It sounds like you could follow the same advice as in this thread. You'll want to look for the batting section for "近鉄" (Kintetsu) such as in the lower half of this box score. The name you want to look for is "バーンズ" (5th from the top of the bottom half).

What this says is that he batted third in the order (positions on the left in parenthesis denote starting position), the position he played was "左" (left field).

The columns to the right of his name denote: At Bats, Runs Scores, Hits, RBIs, Batting Average, and Home Runs (in a circle). The first four are for the game, the last two are cumulative. If the batter hits a home run in the game, the circle will be filled in black with the number white.

The remainder to the right is the inning by inning results. In Barnes' case, he flew out to right in the first, fouled out to the catcher in the third, few out to left in the sixth, and grounded out to third in the nineth. (Kanji are wonderful for representing a lot of information in the space of just two characters.) You'll notice some people have records that are shiro-nuki (the background is filled in). These are hits. The first character says where the ball was hit to: 投 補 一 二 三 遊 左 中 右 being pitcher, catcher, first, second, third base, shortstop, left, center, and right field respectively. The second character is what kind of hit: 安 2 3 本 being single, double, triple, and home run respectively.

Hmm. Maybe I need to create a pocket reference for how to read Japanese box scores.

If this is too much for you, once the season starts at the end of the month, more resources (in English) will become available - here and elsewhere.
Re: Larry Barnes
[ Author: Guest: tb | Posted: Mar 17, 2004 6:40 AM ]

Greatly appreciate that. It helps a whole lot.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.