Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Help for an MLB Reporter

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Help for an MLB Reporter
Gentleman,

I am headed to Tokyo next week for the season opener. Can anyone on this forum suggest any interesting stories from Japan that I should pursue for publication in the United States? Any help would be appreciated. I'm sure there are some great feature ideas out there.

Thanks,
Anthony
Comments
Re: Help for an MLB Reporter
[ Author: torakichi | Posted: Mar 18, 2004 5:07 PM | HT Fan ]

How about the difference (between Japan and elsewhere) in the method of cheering for teams? Japanese support is very organised, with co-ordinated cheer squads, songs, chants, and even dances. Official and private cheer squads (oendan) often become thriving organisations with large numbers of members.

For instance, here are the groups I can think of off the top of my head that are always present at Koshien stadium in Nishinomiya (home of the Hanshin Tigers):
  • Yumetorakai (Dream Tiger Club)
  • Kaketorakai (a group dedicated to the Tigers in general and former Tigers' slugger Masayuki Kakefu in particular)
  • Wakatorakai (Young Tiger Club)
  • Umetorakai (Plum Tiger Club)
  • Mokokai (Wild Tiger Club)
  • Namitorakai (Naniwa Tiger Club)
  • Sakuratorakai (Cherry Blossom Tiger Club)
There are countless others.

Mind you, in games not featuring Japanese teams, this style of cheering won't be very prevalent, I'd say.
[ Author: Martin | Posted: Mar 18, 2004 9:05 PM | SL Fan ]

It would be a good idea to interview Tuffy Rhodes (Giants) and Alex Cabrera (Lions). They both played in MLB and have been playing for a number of years in NPB. They both equalled the Japanese home run record (55). They will challenge the record again this year. However, Alex Cabrera just got hit by a pitch and broke his forearm. He is out for about six weeks. These two can tell you a lot about Japanese baseball which can be very interesting for future players of MLB.

For which paper are you writing and when will it be published? Will it also be published on the Net?

Thanks,
Martin
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Mar 19, 2004 4:40 AM ]

Hi Anthony,

As a fan who spends lots of time in both, the U.S. and Japan, I suggest you run a story about the things that "shock" American fans when they attend a game in Japan for the first time. This could be fun and show some of the off-the-field differences. You can also experience these points when you attend the games in Tokyo in a couple of weeks.

First, I want to call your attention to the neatness of most Japanese venues. There are ballparks that have bathrooms cleaner than your house. Heck, I could lay down on the floor of some of these restrooms. They are spotless!

Another "curiosity" for Americans is the way they sell beer at the games. They have these really cute young girls who carry this big beer containers on their backs, and serve you beer right at your seat.

Of course, the food is a big contrast, no Wrigley Field Dogs here, but you can get delicious Japanese food at the ballpark. You can't go to see the Tigers without having a tako yaki (octopus ball).

Finally, pay attention to the fans during the game and you will see how they never boo the visiting team. Just like when the Yankees play at Fenway!

Anyway, I hope this helps a little.
[ Author: mijow | Posted: Mar 24, 2004 7:59 PM | HT Fan ]

- First, I want to call your attention to the neatness of most Japanese venues. There are ballparks that have bathrooms cleaner than your house. Heck, I could lay down on the floor of some of these restrooms. They are spotless!

But of course this doesn't apply to all venues. I think it's important to note that Koshien is probably the most uncomfortable place to watch a game on either side of the Pacific. It's old, dirty, the seating is cramped, they have poles and fences blocking your view, and the restrooms are woeful.

- Another "curiosity" for Americans is the way they sell beer at the games. They have these really cute young girls who carry this big beer containers on their backs, and serve you beer right at your seat.

But not at Koshien. The beer is served straight from the can into a paper cups.

- Of course, the food is a big contrast, no Wrigley Field Dogs here, but you can get delicious Japanese food at the ballpark. You can't go to see the Tigers without having a tako yaki (octopus ball).

Again, not at Koshien - the food is horrendous - overpriced, fatty, chewy. If you're smart you'll bring your own.

- Finally, pay attention to the fans during the game and you will see how they never boo the visiting team. Just like when the Yankees play at Fenway!

They do at Koshien. Especially when the Giants come to town. Just like Fenway.

But then, you won't be going outside of Tokyo, so you won't see any of this. So it's important to remember that Tokyo is not all there is to Japan - there are differences in other parts of the country.
[ Author: Guest: Tony Miles | Posted: Mar 20, 2004 1:59 AM ]

Guys,

Those three are great ideas. I have a story on Valentine/Agbayani/Franco lined up and the ususal stranger in a strange land for a couple of the Yankees.

I'm also thinking about a story about the Olympic coach being sick. The fans and ballpark stories should be good.

Can anyone think of anything based on the Tokyo Dome or any of the players playing for either of the two teams playing against the Yanks and DRays?

I am really open to interesting sidebars and have eight days to work story ideas.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Mar 20, 2004 10:44 AM | YBS Fan ]

- I have a story on Valentine/Agbayani/Franco lined up [...]

Valentine-kantoku would be good, as he's been here before. But Agbayani and Franco have hardly been in Japan for two months. I know that my first two months in Japan were a confusing whirl of new sights. Interviews with veterans like Rhodes (Giants) or Arias (Hanshin) will give you much more insight into how things work here. If it's the strange and bizaar view of someone who's just arrived, then that's probably what you'll get from Agbayani and Franco.

Ihara-kantoku (Orix, managed Seibu the past two years) had an unremarkable career batting .241 with 12 home runs and 58 RBIs in 450 games over 10 years. [I'll try to put his full career stats up later today.] But he became known as "Mr. Third Base Coach," continuing to coach for Seibu after retiring in 1980 for all but the 2000 season when he coached for Hanshin. Even managing the Seibu Lions the past two years, he did so from the third base coach's box. For over 20 years, that's where he's been directing baseball.

Valentine-kantoku, though, doesn't know that. And he made a snide comment about it not even being done at the minor league level in North America. I think a fair interview to get Ihara-kantoku's thoughts on managing from the third base coach's box would make for very interesting reading. [I say "fair" because so many editors, such as one I've heard of at The Sporting News, like to commission articles about "nuts" and "kooks" more than informative pieces on how "different" isn't necessarily something to be looked down on. Since you're here researching, I'm sure you don't fall under this category or journalist.]

Anyway, my point in bringing this up, other than to point you in a direction that might make an interesting, informative article, is to show that even though Valentine-kantoku is beyond that wide-eyed wonderous stage, he's still looking at baseball here through the eyes of a foreigner. I really wish that the North American press (and the English press in Japan for that matter) would get the view from the side of Japanese who have grown up with Japanese baseball more often.

[Note: You will find that many people say "gaijin" for "foreigner." That'll be one of the first words you learn when you get here, and it's fine for speaking. But the "politcally correct" way to print it is "gaikokujin" (literally "outside" "country" "person" instead of "outside" "person" or "outsider"). That's how it's written in the Japanese press. It's similar to the "negro," "black," "African-American" issue in the U.S.]
[ Author: Guest: Suraj | Posted: Mar 22, 2004 5:56 PM ]

The MLB teams are playing the Hanshin Tigers, who did win the Central League pennant last year, but have a history comparable to the Cubs or Red Sox. Cubs because no matter how much they lose, fans still show up in throngs. Red Sox because the Giants (the Yankees of Japan) keep getting the better of them.

Another is "Where's Hideki Irabu now?" He played for the Yankees, then moved to the Expos and Rangers before returning to Japan with the Tigers. Last season he was unstoppable until about July, after which his lack of conditioning caught up to him. Inexplicably, the Tigers re-signed him, and that decision is looking like a disaster, judging from his spring stats (and yes, he does look like a fat toad).

Also, it might be fun to look into how teams tank after their star players leave (Orix post-Ichiro, Yokohama post-Sasaki, Giants post-Matsui), and will Seibu go through the same phenomenon. It's particularly interesting because the opposite has been true numerous times (New England Patriots winning the super bowl after losing Drew Bledsoe, the Knicks making the Championship round after losing Ewing, etc). This was actually brought up by Bill Simmons (aka Boston Sports Guy) on Espn.com, who cited several examples.
[ Author: Guest: Anthony Miles | Posted: Mar 23, 2004 12:14 PM ]

Suraj and Westbaystars,

Thanks for the story ideas. I am really looking for interesting sid stories that play up the Japanese culture and their love for the game.

I have my fingers crossed that they make Cabrera available. I would love to do a Rhodes/Cabrera/A-Rod story.

Is there any potential crossover superstar on the horizon in Japan - i.e, who is the next Matsui? How about any baseball players adverstising or pitching any items.

What about most popular American baseball players in Tokyo? I originally was supposed to do a story about Jeter being able to walk the streets in relative obscurity, but it was pushed back for an A-Rod feature.

Thanks for all the help - it really makes a difference.

Anthony
[ Author: bouton-kun | Posted: Mar 24, 2004 8:45 PM ]

Don't write these boring stories that have been written by many reporters like you in the past. Consider writing about how the Yomiuri Group holds Japanese baseball in its suffocating grip from the Commisioner's Office on down.

Write about a young Daiei pitcher named Arakaki who was drafted by Orix and when he refused their offer, the scout that was supposed to sign him jumped of a tall building.

Write about Japanese coaches still physically beating their players to make them better ("aiko" phenomenon).

These are the kind of things that don't happen in U.S. baseball, although I am sure Steinbrenner would love to give them a shot.

While you are it try to find out if Balco had a Japanese "hanbai dairiten" (sales agent). After all Bonds' trainer met many of his new clients (like Giambi) on a MLB tour in Japan. He might have bumped into Tuffy and others as well. I am not claiming that Tuffy took anything, but if you look at his home run stats, he might have started popping somewhere along the line. Check it out. Like reporters are supposed to do.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.