Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

The Iinfluence of the Yomiuri Giants

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
The Iinfluence of the Yomiuri Giants
I've been thinking about the boorish way the Giants behave in NPB, and wondered if the Giants get away with it basically because the other teams let them get away with it. If they all got together and told the Giants to play by the rules or else, I suspect they could pull it off.

That said, if the Giants could persuade three or more teams to go with them (and their drawing power would provide a strong incentive), they could successfully secede and continue the way they have. But if all or maybe even all but one team held fast, the Giants couldn't create a new league in which at least half the players weren't below the level of the current NPB.

My question to those of you on the scene: are Japanese fans so enamored of the Giants they could keep such a league going for a couple of years until they could even out the talent level with NPB? If they couldn't, then either the current owners are spineless or they let the Giants behave that way by a "divide and conquer" strategy. If they could, I guess the other owners have little choice other than to give the Giants their way.

Jim Albright
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.