Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Japan Olympic Team?

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Japan Olympic Team?
Hi.

Could I have some news about the Japan 2004 Olympic team? They mostly win, but what about Cuba? Cuba always killed Japan.

See you.

JCLedon
Comments
Re: Japan Olympic Team?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: May 25, 2004 9:03 AM | YBS Fan ]

The combination of veteran professionals allowed to participate in the Olympics and the Olympic Committee coming down hard on bloggers in the past has led me to boycott the Games.

The Olympics used to be about youth and the future. Now it's only about earning more money for large corporate sponsors (and vacation homes for the Committee members). If Japan does well, I'll be happy. But I won't actively watch or report on them. The Olympic Committee made it clear four years ago that only paying news outlets were to be permitted to report. Since it's become nothing more than a large scale commercial venture, as opposed to a showcase of future talent, that's fine with me.
[ Author: matteo | Posted: May 25, 2004 10:43 PM ]

The members of the 2004 Olympic team haven't been realeased yet. The team of 24 is to be announced on the 25th of June. The coaches are Shigeo "Mister" Nagashima, batting coach is Kiyoshi Nakahata, pitching coach is Yutaka Ohno, fielding and running coach is Yutaka Takagi.

The official site is japanese-baseball.jp. However, it is only in Japanese.
[ Author: Seibu Fan | Posted: May 26, 2004 11:38 AM ]

I am also interested in Japan's Olympic team and would really like to see them play. Is there any chance that they would invite the players in America (Matsuis and Ichiro), or will they only invite the NPB players?
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: May 27, 2004 4:18 AM ]

There is no chance that Matsui or Ichiro would play on the Olympic teams, because the MLB teams are in the middle of their season.
[ Author: Guest: Frank | Posted: May 27, 2004 3:13 PM ]

The only players that are eligible to play in the Olympics are players that are not in the major leagues.

Dave Nilsson is a good example, he's playing with Braves' AAA team in Richmond, and is more focused on keeping himself in shape than actually making the Braves' squad.
[ Author: Guest: jcledon | Posted: May 28, 2004 1:22 AM ]

Hi,

Is There any pre seleccion for the Japanese Olympic team? Or news about this topic?

Thanks,
JCLedon
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Jun 23, 2004 9:37 AM ]

Baseball sources said Hanshin Tigers' pitcher Yuya Andoh and infielder Atsushi Fujimoto had been selected to the Olympic team. [Link - The Japan Times]
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Jun 24, 2004 11:41 AM ]

Seibu Lions' pitcher Daisuke Matsuzaka, Buffaloes' third baseman Norihiro Nakamura, Buffaloes' pitcher Hisashi Iwakuma, Giants' pitcher Koji Uehara, and Hawks' catcher Kenji Johjima have been selected to the Olympic team.

[Link - The Japan Times]
[ Author: Guest: Tessa Schonrock | Posted: Feb 8, 2005 3:07 PM ]

Can you please send me pictures[*] of the players to tscho20 at eq d0t edu d0t au.

[Editor's note: Original post said "pitches oif the playes" - but think he/she means "pictures of the players."]
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Jun 18, 2004 7:33 AM ]

Hi,

Do you know that there will be two games in July between the Olympics teams of Cuba and Japan? Also, Cuba will play againt others Japanese teams. Does anybody know? What are they?

Thanks,

JCLedon
[ Author: Guest: juan c ledon | Posted: Jun 26, 2004 4:26 PM ]

Hi.

What do you think about Japan Olympic National team? Can it defeat Cuba? Also, has to called the top Japanese players?

Thanks,
jcledon
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Jun 26, 2004 6:30 PM ]

Japan couldn't make the best team, so a lot of fans are disappointed. But I think it is strong enough to win a gold medal.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Jun 28, 2004 10:41 AM ]

Carp pitcher Hiroki Kuroda has been removed from the Olympic team due to discomfort in his right shoulder. [Link - The Japan Times]
[ Author: Guest: Gus Papadopoulos | Posted: Jun 30, 2004 9:14 PM ]

Will reliever Kaz Sasaki be part of Japan's Olympic team this August? I've not seen a full team roster in English anywhere. Thanks.
[ Author: Guest: Jim Albright | Posted: Jun 30, 2004 11:25 PM ]

According to this list at Gary Garland's site [Link] Sasaki is not on the roster.

Jim Albright
[ Author: Guest: Frank | Posted: Jul 2, 2004 7:46 PM ]

I was hoping some of the former Japanese MLB players would be in the Olympics, such as Shinjo, Irabu, etc.
[ Author: Guest: Izony | Posted: Jul 21, 2004 9:56 PM ]

Shinjo made a "home-steal" at the Japanese All-Star Game! And he was named MVP as he predicted.

Sasaki is having a not-so-bad season (20 saves or so), but won't go to Athens - probably too old.

Masa Kobayashi will be the closer of Japan Squad. I think he is the third best closer, tying Ohtsuka and Toyoda in active and even all-time pitchers of Japan (#1 Sasaki, #2 Takatsu).
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.