Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

SHINJO's future

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
SHINJO's future
Is there any chance that Shinjo will return to MLB? I know he is having a pretty successful return to NPB. Or is he content with his time in the U.S. and plans to play out his career in Japan?
Comments
Re: SHINJO's future
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Sep 25, 2004 9:42 AM ]

- Is there any chance that Shinjo will return to MLB? I know he is having a pretty successful return to NPB. Or is he content with his time in the U.S. and plans to play out his career in Japan?

I think there's a 0% chance Shino will return to the majors. Shinjo had a good career in the majors, but is a better player in the NPB. Anyway, I think he will finish out his career in Japan.
[ Author: Guest: Frank | Posted: Oct 1, 2004 4:04 PM ]

Hitting below the Mendoza-line is what made him leave MLB in the first place.
[ Author: Guest: null | Posted: Nov 30, 2004 9:58 AM ]

- Hitting below the Mendoza-line is what made him leave MLB in the first place.

If I'm correct, Shinjo hit a career B.A. of .249 in the Major Leagues. I thought the Mendoza Line was .200?
Re: SHINJO's MLB career
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Nov 30, 2004 9:18 PM ]

Shinjo batted .245 with 20 HR and 100 RBI, that average is way above the Mendoza Line. The Mendoza Line is .200 avg. or lower. [Stats - Baseball Reference]
[ Author: Guest: Jim Albright | Posted: Nov 30, 2004 10:01 PM ]

True, but an outfielder in today's game with Shinjo's power numbers and a sub .250 average isn't terribly useful, either.

Jim Albright
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Dec 1, 2004 2:46 AM ]

That's not true. Shinjo would be a good option for many teams in the majors. He came at a price for about $2 million. And at that price, he serves as a valuable player off the bench, and if he played a majority of his time as a late-inning defensive replacement, I don't think anybody would be complaining. He would easily be in the top 10% of the outfielders in terms of his fielding abilities. That alone would make him worth it.

Why do you think Pokey Reese was with Boston this year? There's not much use by making generalizations by saying that because Shinjo didn't hit for power as an outfielder, he has no use. Granted, Reese was signed to play second and some shortstop, but even his offense is pathetic compared to Shinjo, but he is still deemed to be useful in the majors.
[ Author: Guest: Jim Albright | Posted: Dec 1, 2004 10:52 AM ]

Outfielders who hit like mediocre or worse middle infielders or catchers rarely hold a position in the majors. Shinjo falls into that category. Yes, Shinjo can help as a defensive replacement in the outfield, but what else can he do that a large number of minor league players can't do better? Further, at least some of those minor leaguers are either 1) younger, and thus have more potential, and/or 2) are fairly good with the glove themselves. If they're young, there's a good chance they're not making more than $2 million, either.

If Shinjo could play a middle infield position or catch with competent defense, he'd have value, but he can't.

Jim Albright
[ Author: Guest: Steve Evangelista | Posted: Dec 1, 2004 12:47 AM ]

He was below the Mendoza line (.193) in his final season in MLB. That may have been a part-time role (114 AB) with an awful team (2003 Mets), but his OPS declined every year - .725 to .664 to .484.

I've always loved his defense!
[ Author: Jen Wei | Posted: Dec 3, 2004 12:44 PM | HNHF Fan ]

But if he playing on a weak team, maybe he will get a starting position. I don't think that any one of his fans will forget the game in June 2003 with the Atlanta Braves: in the 9th inning with two outs he threw out Chipper Jones at home to finish the game. I think that is Hall of the Fame for his MLB history or career.
[ Author: Guest: Chris in Fukuoka | Posted: Jan 7, 2005 3:44 PM ]

I was at that game! Goooo Braves!

Chris in Fukuoka
[ Author: IloveJingu | Posted: Feb 3, 2005 1:32 PM ]

I think SHINJO is overrated and have felt that way for a long time. With his ability and skills, he should be a lot better than he has been. He is a career under-achiever. For example, until his decent season with the Fighters last year, his NPB career average was something like .249. Even my then 11-year-old son told me that he thought Shinjo was dogging it a couple of times when he watched him play. SHINJO is more interested in being a celebrity in Japan than he is in being a winning baseball player. Just look at the new KONISHIKI-style spelling of his name. He is a classic Japanese-style celebrity in a country where many of the biggest celebs are simply "famous for being famous."

I expect some SHINJO defenders will blast me for this post, so fire away.
[ Author: Guest: Nao | Posted: Feb 3, 2005 8:29 PM ]

I would think the question should be "Does he want to go back?" According to the reports that I've read, it seems he hated being in an environment where he basically couldn't understand what everyone was saying. His quote: "I came back from the States to get away from English, and sign with a team only to find out they have an American manager." He seems happy to be here, the center of attention and all.

By the way, yes, he was below the Mendosa line in his last year, but look at the sample size! If he was given a decent chance (300AB?), you have a great glove, a well-above-average arm in the outfield, and a .250 hitter with a little pop for a little more than a million. I mean, c'mon, if Gerald Williams can get a job, ...
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.