Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

2008 PL Predictions

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
2008 PL Predictions
The regular season is only 6 days away and I was just wondering what predictions everyone has for the Pacific League to finish in the standings. Can Seibu rebound from not making top three last year? Will Rakuten make a playoff team? Is Orix offense good enough to raise them up in standings? Will Chiba's bullpen be strong enough? Can SoftBank give Oh-kantoku a championship farewell? Can Nippon Ham's pitching carry them again?

Let's hear everyone's thoughts!
Comments
Re: 2008 PL Predictions
[ Author: firearmofmutiny | Posted: Mar 18, 2008 8:28 AM | CD Fan ]

This is so tough to pick because all three playoff teams had problems over the off season (Nippon Ham losing Hillman, Lotte's bullpen defections to MLB, SoftBank's injuries) while all three teams in the bottom half helped themselves with free-agency pickups or draft picks. My best guess is this:
  1. Nippon Ham
  2. Lotte
  3. Rakuten
  4. Seibu
  5. SoftBank
  6. Orix
The main reason I have SoftBank so low is because of the injuries to Wada and Saitoh. Wada might not be out for long, but Saitoh will. Nor am I sold on Seibu's starting rotation other than Wakui.

(You could say the same about Rakuten not having any pitchers other than Ma-kun that stand out, but Seibu, SoftBank, and Rakuten all look the same for as long as Saitoh and Wada are out.)

So that leaves us with Nippon Ham and Lotte. Nippon Ham lost a DH that didn't perform that well in 2007, and Lotte lost their entire late-inning bullpen. IMO losing the closer and setup man will hurt more; the Fighters still have Darvish, and it's not like Hichori/Kensuke/Inaba are chopped liver (despite how the Dragons made them look in the Japan Series - just kidding! )
Re: 2008 PL Predictions
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Mar 19, 2008 7:40 AM | HAN Fan ]

NHK presented its predictions today. They were
  1. Lotte
  2. SoftBank
  3. Orix
  4. Rakuten
  5. Nippon Ham
  6. Seibu
They seemed to feel that Orix's combination of LaRocca, Rhodes, and Cabrera would help. Furthermore, the pitcher Kaneko would be a big factor. Note this is NHK's view not mine (I have no opinion).
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.