Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Where Did all the Fans Go?

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Where Did all the Fans Go?
Why all the empty seats in Saitama? I thought a Nippon Series ticket would be the hottest ticket in town, but with bays of empty seats tonight and on Tuesday, the question has to be asked, where did all the fans go?

I guess the capacity crowds in the PL playoffs were due to Marine fans coming across and filling the stadium. I'm always complaining about the saturation of the Kanto market. Having the games showpiece played in a near half empty stadium hardly raises an argument.
Comments
Re: Where Did all the Fans Go?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Oct 23, 2004 2:50 PM | YBS Fan ]

One of the biggest problems with Seibu Dome is that it's located out at the end of a line far out of Tokyo. People getting off work at 5:30 in Tokyo will have a lot of trouble getting to a game in Tokorozawa in time for the first pitch. For the most part, Saitama is just a place for people who work in Tokyo to sleep. Public transportation all leads to and from Tokyo like spokes on a bycicle tire. There's very little lateral access via train or road, making Tokorozawa inaccessible to most of Saitama's population.

Tokyo Dome, Jingu Kyujyo, and Yokohama Stadium are all located in business districts with easy access for people getting off work. Chiba Marine Stadium is located near a good sized business community, although rather remote from Tokyo's workers. Seibu Dome has neither a nearby work force to attend after work, nor people looking for entertainment who happen by after work. It's a place people go to to watch baseball, not happen by and say, "hey, let's take in a game!"

Seibu Dome was built out there to give people a destination to go to on the Seibu train line. There have been communities grown along the line (thanks to Seibu Reality). But those communities serve Tokyo, not Tokorozawa.
[ Author: Guest: Luis raul Villamizar | Posted: Oct 27, 2004 5:04 AM ]

What are the capacities for the different NPB's parks? I know the Seibu Lions draw around 25,000 fans per game, but how many fans can get into the games?

Thanks a lot.

Luis Raul Villamizar
[ Author: WayneMcGwire | Posted: Oct 27, 2004 3:31 PM ]

Remember, there was an earthquake and typhoon during the Nippon Series.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.