Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Wherefore, Arias-san?

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Wherefore, Arias-san?
Having just read about George Arias' release from the Hanshin Tigers, I am wondering if anyone has info about his plans, possibilities of being picked up by another team, likelihood of returning to MLB, etc. I thought he made great contributions to the Tigers, and [I/we/they] will miss his presence on the the team greatly. Zannen desu ne!
Comments
Re: Wherefore, Arias-san?
[ Author: Guest: Tigers Baka | Posted: Nov 4, 2004 11:36 PM ]

His numbers in the Tokyo Dome would indicate that he'd be a worthy addition at first base for the Giants considering the speculation that Petagine will move on. I wouldn't be surprised if Rakuten would be sniffing around, too.

Arias' season numbers weren't up to scratch this year, but I believe he was on track for a pretty good year until the speculation that he would be cut started to appear in the sports pages over here. IMHO it really hindered his performance.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Nov 5, 2004 5:05 AM ]

- [...] I am wondering if anyone has info about his plans, possibilities of being picked up by another team, likelihood of returning to MLB, etc.

It's a good possibilty Arias will sign with another NPB team.
[ Author: PLNara | Posted: Nov 6, 2004 12:27 AM | HT Fan ]

I'm going to miss George's presence on the Tigers, too. He always struck me as a guy who said the right things in his Hero Interviews, putting the team's performance above his own.

I honestly think the only reason the Tigers released him was that they thought they could get Woods. Hopefully they will. There should be openings at first base with Chunichi, Rakuten, Orix, and possibly Yokohama and the Giants, so I would say there's a good chance of Arias finding work elsewhere.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.