Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Olerud?

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Olerud?
Former Mariners and Yankees first baseman John Olerud still remains on the free agent market. Is there any Japanese team interested in him? (Perhaps, Son-money (Softbank)?) I think his hitting style will work pretty well in Japanese baseball. Any idea?
Comments
Re: Olerud?
[ Author: Guest: BigManZam | Posted: Feb 5, 2005 2:35 AM ]

Softbank has already signed way too many foreigners. If they sign Olerud, it'd be a stupid move. If no team picks him up, I wouldn't be surprised to see Olerud retire. As far as him being a perfect fit for Japanese baseball, perhaps you're right. However, I don't see him getting signed because he lacks the high arching moon shots that all the teams want out of their suketto.
[ Author: Guest: Jim Albright | Posted: Feb 5, 2005 3:35 AM ]

Since the Hawks have the reigning Triple Crown champ at first, I doubt they'd be interested in Olerud for that spot. Also, they're at or near their limit of foreigners, so I'd say they'd be an unlikely spot for Olerud to wind up.

Jim Albright
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Feb 5, 2005 7:44 AM ]

- (Perhaps, Son-money (Softbank)?) I think his hitting style will work pretty well in Japanese baseball. Any idea?

The Hawks already have Tony Batista, Jolbert Cabrera, Julio Zuleta, Pedro Felicano, Lindsay Gulin, and Anderson Gomez [Link]. Plus, it looks like Olerud might not play at all next year, as he might retire.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Feb 5, 2005 4:21 PM ]

- The Hawks already have Tony Batista, Jolbert Cabrera, Julio Zuleta, Pedro Felicano, Lindsay Gulin, and Anderson Gomez.

Wow, thats a lot. But I now wonder what for, since there is a limitation in number of foreign players on their roster. Plus, except for Batista and Cabrera, are these players really a useful reinforcement for ichi-gun? If not, why don't they give a chance to their home grown prospects?

I have read an article that the Hawks were trying to sign with Robert Alomar right after they signed Batista and Cabrera, so I thought Olerud is better acquisition for the Hawks and thought that they might get interested.

I think Olerud will retire, too, but it looks like he wants to play. [Link - MLB.com]

I did't know the Hawks already signed this many players. But Olerud is definitely an interesting player to see him play in Japan, IMO. Besides, I think Olerud is already well known in Japan since a lot of Mariners' games were already televised in Japan while he was playing in Seattle, and am sure he will be a popular player immediately and have an effect on their ticked sales. IMO, that marketing effect itself is worth a try, especially for a team like the Hawks.
[ Author: Guest: Gary Garland | Posted: Feb 7, 2005 11:57 AM ]

Would John want to go to Japan? He has a child with a severe birth defect, and one would think that he would like to stay closer to home than Japan as a result.

One thing that suprised me was Jeff Nelson not being courted by some Japanese club. In an interview on local sports radio before the M's signed him to a minor league deal, he seemed almost desperate to catch on with someone.
[ Author: Guest: Rita Drum | Posted: Feb 9, 2005 9:44 AM ]

I recently noticed that former Yomiuri Giant Roberto Petagine signed with the Red Sox. Do you think the Giants would have any interest in John Olerud?
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Feb 9, 2005 10:40 AM ]

- Do you think the Giants would have any interest in John Olerud?

I don't think the Giants are interested in Olerud, they already have Kapler, Miceli, and there are reports they are looking at former Oriole Omar Daal. Plus, the point that Olerud's child has a severe birth defect will play a major role in whether Olerud decides to continue his career, which at this time, seems like he will retire.
[ Author: Guest: The Duke | Posted: Feb 10, 2005 10:40 AM ]

Omar Daal had a pretty good arm. Isn't he coming off surgery? I'm surprised he wasn't picked up by a MLB team, considering the big bucks spent on average arms.

Olerud went back to Seattle from the New York Mets because he wanted to play at home. When he was cut, he took the Yankee offer and did alright. He hurt his foot at the end of the season, and it's rumored he just got the cast off of it. The implication is that he won't be ready for spring training, which has hampered his job search.

He is interested in playing and has said he is willing to work away from home. Japan, however, may be a bit too far from home. Great guy though. Quiet and very solid in his prime.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Feb 11, 2005 12:26 AM ]

- Isn't he coming off surgery?

Daal is coming off a season where he didn't pitch at all last year. Daal had shoulder surgery last year.
[ Author: Guest: Shuuto | Posted: Feb 15, 2005 1:55 AM ]

A few things about John Olerud.

1. I do not think John Olerud wants to come to Japan and will not even consider it. For both family, financial, and professional reasons.

2. Also, when Olerud parted from the Mets and went to Seattle, he said afterward that he was willing to stay in New York, and that he and his wife actually started to like living in New York, but the Mets and the not so bright Mets' GM, Steve Phillips, never made a serious offer.

3. Olerud is a great player who can still hit .300 and will play with someone in the MLB in 2005.

4. Bavazzi, the Seattle GM, lacked good judgement to let him go last year. As well as others. Actually the Mariners should be having Olerud's big PR retirement party in a few years in Seattle, but instead let's face it, GM Bavazzi will soon be gone while John Olerud could still be playing in the MLB. (GM Bavazzi is in a league all by himself - from the best record in baseball (Bavazzi did not GM that team) to one of the worst teams two years later - I wonder when Seattle management will realize this and fire the useless legacy Bavazzi.) Maybe another last place finish for Seattle in 2005 will make it happen.

5. The Yankees were lucky to get Olerud last year, and I believe that if Olerud did not get hurt in the ALCS, the Red Sox would still be having the Bambino curse. (If you do not believe me on this, take a look at who helped the Yankees win one of the games against the Red Sox - Game 2, I think). And then Olerud got hurt in the third game, before all all those extra inning games. And if the Yankees had Olerud, a clutch hit by Olerud could have easily ended the Red Soxs (also check out what Tony Phillips (3 for 19?) did in place of Olerud - just ugly).

6. Lastly, Olerud is a future hall of fame candidate. I think he deserves better in his final years in the majors. Wherever he ends up in the 2005, he will suprise many.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.