Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

2005 All Player Photo Almanac

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
2005 All Player Photo Almanac
I just picked my 2005 Photo Almanac yesterday). Great value for 420 yen. However, naturally it's all in japanese. I found two points I would appreciate some confirmation on.

First: Batista's salary
On the forum previously posted (here), it stated that Batista signed a 2 year deal worth US$ 15 million. However, in the almanac it says his salary is 52,000-man, which wouldn't make him the highest NPB player ever, nor in the league this year.

Second: Alex Ramirez Jr.
Does anyone know the reason for why he was signed? In his profile, it states that his fastest ball is 120km, and he has little amateur experience. I have never pitched a game in my life but I have been clocked faster than 120km. I doubt I will ever get signed.
Comments
Re: 2005 All Player Photo Almanac
[ Author: Jingu Bleacher Bum | Posted: Feb 15, 2005 11:03 PM | YAK Fan ]

I saw that magazine at the airport the other day and almost picked it up. Maybe I'll have to head down to the bookstore and do so if you say it's worth it.

Anyways, I don't know about Batista's salary, but Alex Ramirez Jr. was signed because the Yakult Swallows didn't want to loose his father, Alex Ramirez Sr., to another team. During the off-season, I don't know how many reports I read about Yakult and Rakuten bidding for Ramirez. Yakult felt that by adding incentives other than money, they'd have a better chance of keeping him. Not only did Yakult offer to sign Alex Jr., but from what I read, they were trying to get an extended visa for Alex Sr.'s wife, and help make her stay here easier. I don't remember all the details off hand, but I think there was something about an even better apartment in the deal there somewhere as well.

I'm pretty sure Alex Sr. had an understanding that his son wouldn't automatically make the pro team, but I'm pretty sure that it helped him make the re-signing decision all that much easier.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Feb 16, 2005 2:34 AM ]

1. Isn't Tyrone Woods the highest paid player in the NPB? He signed a contract worth 1 billion yen (10-oku) yen or $9,751,463. [Link]
[ Author: matteo | Posted: Feb 16, 2005 3:33 PM ]

That's a two year deal you are talking about. Batista supposedly signed a US$ 15 million 2 year contract.

Even according to the Shashin Almanac alone, Batista is still getting more that Woods. 5.2-oku vs. 5.0-oku.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.