Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Foriegn Players in Japan

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Foriegn Players in Japan
Okay, so I have heard that the foriegn players are treated like "Rock Stars" and wanted to know if this is true. I have heard many different things and am wondering what is fact and/or fiction. Are the foriegn players truly considered hot commodities by both the teams and fans alike? Is it like America where our sought after celebrities' faces are splashed all over the tabloids and surrounded by scandal? Just wondering. Any answers and insight would be great.

Thanks from a Curious American Fan.
Comments
Re: Foriegn Players in Japan
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Mar 23, 2005 8:28 AM ]

I wouldn't say foreign players are automatically treated like stars, because the antics of Kevin Mitchell and Mike Greenwell have made them both unpopular. Mitchell said the Daiei Hawks abused him while he was on the team, and then left town and was partying with his friends, and Mike Greenwell said God told him to stop playing baseball. Though foreign players such as Tuffy Rhodes, Alex Cabrera, former Yokohama BayStars infielder Bobby Rose and others have been fan favorites.
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Mar 23, 2005 9:26 PM | HAN Fan ]

Foreign players tend to be well payed but ruthlessly discarded if they do not perform or if they offend the management in any way. Examples that spring to mind are Petagine (his wife offended the Yomiuri management) or Arias (he critisized Okada-kantoku in the press).
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Mar 24, 2005 2:45 AM | CLM Fan ]

Well, it's not smart to bite the hand that feeds in any profession. This fact is magnified many times over in the Japanese business environment. Pro baseball is still a business.
[ Author: Guest: Guest | Posted: Mar 26, 2005 1:57 PM ]

I'm curious to know how Petagine's wife offended the team's management. Care to fill me in? Just interested.

I know that things are so different in Japan that I'm surprised there aren't more misunderstandings arising from the differences in the two cultures.

Thank you.
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Mar 26, 2005 4:18 PM | HAN Fan ]

She was not happy that Petagine was sharing first base with Kiyohara and didn't get enough playing time. So she expressed her displeasure to Yomiuri officials.
[ Author: Guest: Guest | Posted: Mar 27, 2005 6:48 PM ]

Wow, interesting. Definitely not the way to impress the Japanese, by disrespecting authority.

I'm sure even if the comment was presented respectfully it would not have been received near as well as it would in the States, not that it would be taken well there either.

Thank you for your reply.
[ Author: curious | Posted: Mar 25, 2005 7:33 AM ]

OK, so how are they treated by fans? I mean, are they able to walk down the street without being mobbed? And I'd like know who is everyone's current favorite foriegn player in Japan from either the Central or Pacific League?
[ Author: matteo | Posted: Mar 27, 2005 4:07 PM ]

Regardless to baseball in general, foreigners in Japan recieve more attention than in there home country. In the Central League, I would suggest Rhodes would be the most popular. I can't speak for the Kanto area, but when he was playing here in Osaka, everyone adored him and was impressed with his efforts in learning the Japanese language.

I'm not too familiar with the Pacific League, but going by TV coverage, the most popular foreign player would be surely Cabu-chan (Cabrera).
[ Author: Guest: Guest | Posted: Mar 27, 2005 6:49 PM ]

There are two Cabreras now, but I assume that you're talking about the Seibu Lions' Cabrera?
[ Author: matteo | Posted: Mar 28, 2005 3:03 PM ]

Cheers mate. Should have clarified that.
[ Author: Guest: Guest | Posted: Mar 28, 2005 4:56 PM ]

- OK, so how are they treated by fans? I mean, are they able to walk down the street without being mobbed?

It depends. Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Most of the time mobbed is not the case, unless they are at the field or at a hotel they are staying at on the road.

Day to day stuff is normally pretty mellow. Certain restaurants that are known to be player hang outs can get a little crazy, especially right after a game. Generally the staff is pretty good about keeping the fans away though.
[ Author: Guest: john A | Posted: Apr 5, 2005 1:36 PM ]

Speaking of foreign players, anyone know where Pedro Feliciano is? I know he signed with the Hawks, but I've noticed he has not pitched in any of the regular season games. I don't know much of the Japanese league, so I have no idea if there is a minor league system like in the U.S. I still believe it was a mistake for the Mets to let him go, as they proved on opening day that they need bullpen help.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Apr 6, 2005 1:26 AM ]

Pedro Felicano is in ni-gun, the NPB version of the minor leagues. Felicano is number #28. [Hawks' ichi/ni-gun members - in Japanese] [Profile - in Japanese]
Re: Foreign Players in Japan
[ Author: Guest: john A | Posted: Apr 6, 2005 12:23 PM ]

Thanks for the reply. Any idea on how I might be able to keep up with his stats in English?
Stats in English
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Apr 6, 2005 1:09 PM | YBS Fan ]

- Any idea on how I might be able to keep up with his stats in English?

I was waiting and seeing what became available in English this year. Borisov-san's Japanese Pro Yakyu site has box scores and league leaders, but not full stats. If at the end of this month no English sites emerge with full stats, I'll start running my scripts to translate the TBS Radio team pages again.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.