Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Home Run Record Asterisk?

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Home Run Record Asterisk?
I just thought about something that might bring up a little controversy, if it actually happens. Now that the Central League is going to play 146 games this year, if a player breaks the single season home run record of 55 HR's after they've already played 140 games, will there be an asterisk next to the players name, just like with Roger Maris?
Comments
Re: Home Run Record Asterisk?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Mar 31, 2005 11:33 PM | YBS Fan ]

I think that it would be highly unlikely. In 1966, two years after Oh hit 55 home runs, the number of games was reduced from 140 to 130 (with ties being made up). Because ties were made up, the number of games each player played ended up being different team to team and year to year. Yet, no astrisk has been placed on any records set by players with more or less than 140 games played by a team.

It looks to me like the record is accepted for the number of games played for the given year, be it more or less than the previous record.

Sorry, no controversy to see here.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.