Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Kapler Update?

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Kapler Update?
Hi,

Can someone give me an update on how former Boston Red Sox player Gabe Kapler is doing?

Thank you.

Skott
Comments
Re: Kapler Update?
[ Author: Mischa | Posted: Apr 29, 2005 9:44 AM | TYS Fan ]

Unfortunately, the latest Jewish player in NPB isn't doing as well as his predecessors - he's hitting .155/.220/.286 after 84 AB (23 G). I'm surprised the Giants haven't even given him a day off yet given how poorly he's performed.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Apr 29, 2005 10:49 AM ]

Gabe Kapler is batting .155 (13 for 84) with 3 home runs and 6 RBI's [NPB BIS stats - in Japanese]. If Kapler doesn't start performing, he could soon be released, too, by the Giants. Yomiuri has outfielder Takayuki Shimizu waiting to step in.
[ Author: Michael | Posted: Apr 29, 2005 11:45 AM | CLM Fan ]

As of April 27 he was hitting .155 with 3 home runs and 6 RBIs in 23 games.
[ Author: Guest: CardiffCarp | Posted: Apr 30, 2005 5:24 PM ]

Kapler was dropped from the starting lineup for Friday's game against the Carp, which the Giants went on to win handsomely. He came on as a pinch hitter in the 8th, appeared again in the 9th and again registered no hits, dropping his average to .151. Not looking good for him.
[ Author: weirdgaijin | Posted: May 1, 2005 3:34 PM ]

I saw him play at Koshien a few weeks ago.

Although he got two hits, he looks very top heavy. Too dependant on using his upper body strength to get it out of the infield. I'm not an expert, but it just looked like that.
[ Author: Guest: JOE KALESNK | Posted: May 3, 2005 4:46 PM ]

When he was signed by the Giants, I thought they made a mistake, especially with all the money. However, there are NPB fans who felt he was a steal.

The Giants seem to be going in the wrong direction, going from starter to bench in NPB only leads to "out the door."

One might think, how can a guy be on a world champion team one year and out of baseball the next? There are lots of stories like this.

Again, Theo Epstein was not concerned about losing him.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: May 4, 2005 6:34 AM ]

Kapler has the ability to become a great player in the NPB, but it just doesn't look like it's happening. I don't know how long the Giants are going to stick with Kapler when they have Shimizu waiting. Also, when Shimizu was signed to a 2 year contract, I wonder why they haven't started him at an outfield position? When Shimizu is batting .364 (8 for 22) with 1 HR and 5 RBI [NPB BIS - in Japanese], I have to wonder why the Giants don't give an opportunity to Shimizu.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: May 5, 2005 3:36 AM ]

Kapler is now batting .144, 3 home runs, and 6 RBIs in 90 at bats.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.