Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Which Ballpark is Smallest?

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Which Ballpark is Smallest?
Hi westbaystars, jballfan, etc.

I'm watching the Tiger's game and Kanemoto just hit a home run that cleared the fence by about 10 centimeters.

We've all heard that Japanese ballparks are smaller than American parks. I've heard that it is an average difference of about 10 to 15 feet at the right/left walls. So:

Which stadium has the smallest field? I think it is Hiroshima or Jingu (Yakult), but I am not sure.

Which stadium has the largest field?

Which stadium has the shortest/longest distance to center field for a home run?

What is the shortest distance at left/right for a home run at a Japanese ballpark?
Comments
Re: Which Ballpark is Smallest?
[ Author: Guest: Tigers Baka | Posted: May 22, 2005 10:01 PM ]

OK, so down the lines, Jingu measures just 91 meters and 120m to center field. Hiroshima stadium is 91.4m down the line but only 115.8m to center field.

Hiroshima certainly feels a lot smaller watching a game. If the wind is right, it's not uncommon to see some popped up outfield fly balls sail over the fence. It can be very cruel for pitchers.

There are a bunch of ball parks which measure 100m down the lines and 122m to center: Osaka Dome, Sapporo Dome, Fukuoaka's Yahoo Dome, Seibu's Invoice Dome in Saitama, Nagoya Dome, and the Tokyo Dome. Hmmm, seems like a trend with domes right?

Rakuten's Fullcast Stadium in Sendai tops the list down the lines at 101m and 122m to center.

Hope this helps larryo. All above info gathered from the "2005 Pro Yakyu Yearbook" published by Takarajimasha.
[ Author: larryo | Posted: May 23, 2005 10:44 AM | HT Fan ]

Thanks Tigers Baka.
[ Author: Jen Wei | Posted: May 25, 2005 3:52 PM | HNHF Fan ]

Is Koshien (Tigers' home) is the largest and oldest?
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.