Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Looking for Godzilla

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Looking for Godzilla
This is a tough question because I do not have a name. Someone told me about a Japanese player. He used the name Godzilla (no joke). I would think that is a nick name. Anyway he is a 1st baseman who is a free agent at the end of this season and wants to come to the Majors. He told me he hit 45-50 homers in Japan and is a good clubhouse guy playing jokes on players to keep them loose. Does this player sound familiar? If so what is his name and is there any chance of him coming to the United States. If there is a chance what team would he be interested in?

I'll try and get a name for you to help you out.

Thanks
Comments
Re: Looking for Godzilla
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jun 6, 2002 9:47 AM | YBS Fan ]

Check out these search results.

The player you are looking for is Hideki Matsui. And he's an outfielder for the Tokyo Yomiuri Giants, "Japan's team."

You can find rumors of players who may be crossing the Pacific in the Rumor Mill section, and Matsui comes up there often.

Does this help?
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Jun 6, 2002 9:54 AM ]

Yup thanks for the help!

[ Author: Guest: Chuck Saden | Posted: Dec 12, 2002 7:56 PM ]

If Godzilla signs with an American Team, we hope Hideki uses the song "Godzilla" when he comes to bat. The author of the song, Donald "Buck Dharma" Roeser and his wife have been following this and would be thrilled if he used it.

Tino Martinez, when playing in New York, used Donald's tune "Don't Fear The Reaper" when coming to bat.
The song Godzilla, though, is much more menacing and will put fear in the opposing team and fire up the crowd!
[ Author: Guest: Mariner Fan | Posted: Dec 13, 2002 4:03 AM ]

I would prefer Hideki to come out to "Godzilla's theme" by Akira Ifukube. I like the Blue Oyster Cult song, but Godzilla without Ifukube-san is unthinkable.
[ Author: Guest: Agent | Posted: Dec 21, 2002 9:35 PM ]

Playing in New York, it is fitting to use the BOC tune as they are a band from New York City. It could be the best thing since the Tomohawk Chop!
(Don't make us bring our Boom Boxes
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.