Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Industrial League 1963

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Industrial League 1963
I am writing a novel that takes place in Tokyo in 1963. In it, I've created an Industrial League game between a U.S. Air Force team and a Japanese team. A pitcher on the Japanese team is supposedly a retired Japanese pro-player - and he's also known to throw high and tight. Do you know of such a pitcher? Remember, the game is in 1963, so he would have retired before then.

Since I'm trying to use as many real facts as possible, allow me to throw a few other questions at you. Can you identify a team that played near Tokyo in the Industrial League? Did any team really play the Air Force? Where did the team play? What was their schedule? What uniforms did they wear? Who was on the team? What newspaper, if any, might have covered the game?

Any facts you can supply are appreciated! You can e-mail me directly at jflorio at acmecreative d0t net

Thanks,
John Florio
Comments
Re: Industrial League 1963
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Aug 17, 2005 7:09 PM | YBS Fan ]

As far as a game between the U.S. Air Force and an Industrial League team in 1963, The Stars and Stripes would be the best source to ask. The Pacific Stars and Stripes dates back to 1945 and covers most events that happen on the bases in the Pacific Rim region.

Finding information on the Industrial Leagues is difficult now. Tracking down something in 1963 would be even more so. What's more, it was extreamly rare that a professional would go on to play for an amateur team after retiring from NPB until very recently. In order for a retired professional to play for an amateur team, even now, it requires special permission from the Commissioner's Office. Nonetheless, two resources (in Japanese only) that may know if such a player existed are the Pro Yakyu OB Club and/or the Japan Amateur Baseball Association.

Hope this helps.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.