Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Tigers To Be Sold?

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Tigers To Be Sold?
This Mainichi Daily News article says the Hanshin Tigers parent firm is in danger of being sold. That's news to me. Does anyone know the financial outlook of the Hanshin Railroad Company? Because I find the article hard to believe if true. I always thought the Hanshin Railroad Company was in a better financial setting.
Comments
Re: Tigers To Be Sold?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Dec 2, 2005 8:39 PM | YBS Fan ]

This is the speculation being caused by the Murakami Fund's possible hostile takeover of Hanshin Railroad. I think most of the Murakami rumors are speculation by people who have no idea about what's going on. (Since I get my news from those same people, I consider myself in that group.) It's easier to sell newspapers to Hanshin fans if there's some sort of possible tragedy ahead, and the tabloids are playing to that crowd.

Move along. Nothing to see here.
[ Author: mijow | Posted: Dec 2, 2005 11:02 PM | HT Fan ]

- Move along. Nothing to see here.

Yes, especially as the next item in the article deals with "Hollywood couple Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie" and then some semi-nude photo of someone or other. Serious stuff.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Dec 2, 2005 11:53 PM ]

That's what I thought. I found it very hard to believe.

Thanks.
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Dec 5, 2005 12:56 PM | HAN Fan ]

Hanshin Railroad Company is very sound financially. They have an excellent asset portfolio and unlike other companies did not get caught by the property bubble of the 1980s. Cashflow is good, especially with the Tigers doing well, and the fundementals are strong.

Where there may be issues is that debt is small so it could be argued that they are under-leveraged and their property portfolio is undervalued. Murakami's shareholding would not be enough to force a sale of the parent company, and at the moment, he is looking at selling the assets.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.