Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Japanese Hall of Fame

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Japanese Hall of Fame
Sam Kauffman-san writes:

I have four questons:

1. Is there a Japanese Baseball Hall of Fame?

2. If there is, do you know of a site that has all of the players listed with their complete stats?

3. Is there a site with a Japanese Baseball Encyclopedia with complete stats of every player to play in the NPB?

4. Why do you write -san after every person's name?

I am American and do not know of this custom. Thank you.

Comments
Answers
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: May 27, 2001 2:23 AM | YBS Fan ]

#1. Yes. It's located below Tokyo Dome.

#2. I don't know of such a site, in English or Japanese. But I sure would like to.

#3. Yes. I mention it often, but don't see it in my Quick Links (I thought I had it there). See
IBM BIS (Baseball Information System).

#4. Not from around these parts, are you? It is customary in Japanese to put a title at the end of one's name. The general "catch all" is -san (translates to Mr., Ms. Mrs.).

For a team manager, I add the suffix "-kantoku" very often in these pages. Most of my readers are familiar with Japanese language and customs to some extent, so I don't usually translate things like that. But thanks for reminding me that I do get new readers who could use some explaination. (If I don't know it's broken, I can't fix it.)

Re:Answers
[ Author: Guest | Posted: May 27, 2001 8:01 AM ]

It is me again. Could you put a list of all Japanese Hall of Famers on your website. Have their stats with them. Thank you.
Re:Answers
[ Author: Guest | Posted: May 27, 2001 12:04 PM ]

I think that's a bit much to ask. On my homepage
I have a bunch of links to Japanese baseball-related sites, including the one for the
Japanese Baseball Hall of Fame. Go to: Aladdinsane's Page of Bad Craziness

As far as a good site to use, I would recommend Pro Yakyu Kiroku Hakubutsukan, which is in Japanese. It's not complete, but it is still
nevertheless voluminous and the most complete
listing on any site I've been able to find. There
are some fan sites for individual teams that fill
in the blanks in a lot of cases (the Nippon Ham
and Yakult Swallows sites I list are particularly
valuable in this regard, again both in Japanese). And make sure you stop by Dan Latham's site.

Lastly, Baseball America, CBS Sportsline and
CNN/SI have some Japanese baseball related stuff
on them, and I hardily recommend that you spend some time looking around them since it is generally very good stuff. If you have any more
questions always feel free to ask.
HoFers
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: May 27, 2001 2:03 PM | YBS Fan ]

In an unrelated
thread
to the Pro Yakyu Mailing List, Fitts-san mentioned that he has an upcoming book about Japanese Hall of Famers and Meikyukai (players with 2,000 hits or 200 wins). That reminded me of where I had seen such a page,
his RobsJapanseseCards.com web site!

I thought I had seen such a page before, but when I was searching, I checked Japanese sites that I thought would have the highest probability, like
NPBFan.com.

I'd love to have a site of historical data, with HoF and Meikyu members as part of that. But right now, I don't think that I can do a better job than Fitts-san has done, complete with biographies of many of the players. But in the future, ...

Found
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: May 27, 2001 2:09 PM | YBS Fan ]

Kauffman-san submitted another "article" which I thought better as a follow up here. He writes:

"I would like to start out by saying thanks for answering my questions. I have found a site where everyone in the Japanese Baseball Hall of Fame is listed:
http://www.baseball-m useum.or.jp/museum_e/corner4/corner4.htm It is also under Rob's Japanese Baseball Cards Links. I was hoping you could add this list to your site and put with the Hall of Famers names their stats. Thank you."

I'll do that right away, thank you.

About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.