Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Elite Players of Japan?

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Elite Players of Japan?
I check this site often in doing my sports news rounds and consider it to be perhaps the finest example of a stable internet community I have ever seen, honestly. The discussions held on this site are transcendent when put adjacent to that of similar communities. Better yet, this site is put together with a true dedication and profesionalism that is obvious by its tangible status as the primary English website - perhaps primary English resource in general on Japanese Baseball.

On with the question, although I felt some compliments were in order.

When reading of Japanese baseball I am always left in a ravine it could be described, where I can't feel the relationship between the Japanese baseball fan and the players. For that, the relationship, defines the player in any baseball world I'm familiar with. Greatness is not a statistical entity, though it can be complimented with that, or based on statistics so lofty that they demand greatness. Nevertheless, baseball is a game of legends and heros. I feel I am missing the sense of this in Japanese baseball.

I am familiar with Oh of course, but I am always confused at the standing I can percieve of those who lead statistically. For instance it appears that player-love is almost eradicated by a dedication to something else, that I presume to be the team, but in my experience that is always closely paired with player-love. Worship if you will. Is it the way that certain players play rather than their production or stature that Japanese fans respect? A certain style?

I would like to investigate the images of players by asking if any of these MLB players have any similarites in public perceptions to similar players in the NPB:

Barry Bonds (old, mean-hearted, bad-defence, muscle-bound slugger, MVP yearly)

Albert Pujols (great-spirited, class act guy, with good defense at first, also MVP challenger every year, but only 26)

Miguel Cabrera (phenom if ever the word is to be applied, 23, might be a Hall of Famer, already proven himself with power, good defence, and good spirit)

Roger Clemens (old, grizzly veteran who plays by his own rules and has been the best for a long time. Sometimes aloof. Can win the Cy Young in any year)

I think comparing these central players would give some idea as to how Japanese fans see their elite players.

Sorry for the complicated message! Thanks.

Hopefully it will always give me a better idea of who the actual elite players of the NPB are.
Comments
Re: Elite Players of Japan?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jan 31, 2006 9:02 AM | YBS Fan ]

This is a very good question, and one that is easier to answer historically than currently. The two personalities of Pro Yakyu that stand out, and are talked about year after year, were the O-N combination of Oh and Nagashima. "Kiroku to kioku" ("records and memory") is a phrase often used to contrast the two. Oh was all business on and off the field, while Nagashima was almost child-like. Oh put up tremendous numbers, but the fans loved the the Nagashima's playfulness.

I think what you're looking for, though, is another book like Rob Fitts' "Remembering Japanese Baseball." That put personalities on the names I'd read about, and some new names to me as well. I don't know if a second book is in the works or not, but as you explain, there really is a need for more of a connection between the fans and players, and such a book on current players would be fantastic.

Maybe I need to start picking up Pro Yakyu Ai, which appears to have more personal interviews with players, often in casual cloths, than Shukan Baseball. I must confess, though, reading Chiba-san's stats filled articles in ShuBe is a lot easier than reading interviews in Japanese. Furthermore, nothing gets printed without the ball club's permission, so using interviews will just give a filtered view of the players.

I guess we need to build up a better relationship with former players here and see what they have to say about some of the guys they've played with. Of course, depending on how some players/management take critisism, doing so on the record could jeopardize future chances of working with Japanese teams (as scouts or coaches), and I certainly don't want to do that. When former players have posted in the past, I've avoided losing my head with excitement and asking for interviews or such to avoid any awkwardness or obligations on their part. (Then again, maybe treating them like anyone else hurt their feelings?)

The more I think about it, though, the only way to get to know more personalities is by having someone in the dugout who's met these guys. All that's available to the public is what gets filtered through the ball club PR departments.

In keeping with the professional image, I'd like to hear replies about what the players are like without the tabloidish feel. The recently deceased Ohgi is a good example. He was remembered as the person who jump started many careers, most notably Nomo's and Ichiro's, and was well loved by everyone in baseball, as he was very social both on and off the field. Tabloids have provided more detail of his social life, but is that really necessary?

That's all I have time for now. This is an excellent topic for further exploration.
Re: Elite Players of Japan?
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Jan 31, 2006 1:25 PM | HAN Fan ]

Of past players we also need to include Senichi Hoshino. A firey pitcher, he went on to manage Chunichi Dragons and then Hanshin Tigers. He retired from management in 2003 due to ill health, but joined Tigers' front office as Special Director. Since then he has carved himself a role of considerable importance in Japanese baseball and wields massive influence. Politically very astute, he is highly popular and revered. What is also interesting about Hoshino is that his short fuse is well known. People like him because of it.

Of current players, perhaps Kiyohara (now Orix Buffaloes) and Shinjo (Nippon Ham Fighters) are the most well known. Shinjo because of his self promotion which is different enough to be noticeable in the Japanese baseball world, and Kiyohara as a long lived slugger. In Kansai, the Tigers' players are so famous that it is difficult for some to go shopping without being stared at. The players I have met though have come across as being modest and unassuming people.

If there is scandal it is of a minor kind. There is considerable pressure on players to conform to a standard view of how they should behave and to set an example to children. This pressure is perhaps stronger than that in the U.S., and more pervasive. It is also increasing so that young players are even being heavily critisized for smoking.

Most Japanese baseball fans are respectful towards their players. However, Hanshin Tigers fans do barrack their players (whilst holding them in the highest regard) mercelessly. This is part of the Kansai/Osaka character which tends to be irreverant. I have not heard the same things from fans of other teams.

The Pacific League suffers from being the second division as far as coverage and interest is concerned. Fan figures are lower than the Central League, and despite having Shinjo and and Kiyohara, look set to continue that way.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.