Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Black Players in Japanese Baseball

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Black Players in Japanese Baseball
Hey, I wanted to know, does anyone know of any black players currently playing in Japanese baseball? Central or Pacific League doesn't matter.
Comments
Re: Black Players in Japanese Baseball
[ Author: Guest: Andrew | Posted: Feb 1, 2003 2:55 PM ]

There are many black players in Japanese baseball. One good one is Tuffy Rhodes with the Osaka Kintetsu Buffaloes of the Pacific League. Another one, while past his prime, is Nigel Wilson (with the same team).
[ Author: Guest: Bboyhalogen | Posted: Feb 2, 2003 3:26 AM ]

Hey, thanks bro.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Feb 2, 2003 11:19 AM | YBS Fan ]

Since color (ethnicity) isn't something generally stored in a database, you'll have to wait until this year's photo player meikan (registry) is released for a full, accurate account.

Bring this up again at the end of March.
[ Author: Guest: Enrique rojas | Posted: Feb 3, 2003 9:49 AM ]

Latin players, like the Dominican Republic born Jose Ortiz, are black players. Ortiz will play in Japan in 2003.
[ Author: Guest: Gary Garland | Posted: Feb 3, 2003 4:26 PM ]

Nigel Wilson was released by Kintetsu and was picked up by an MLB team (Yankees?).

Black players in NPB (non-Latino)?

Alan Newman (Hiroshima)
Tuffy Rhodes (Kintetsu)
Jimmy Hurst (Hiroshima)
Tyrone Woods (Yokohama)
Roosevelt Brown (Orix)

And that's just off the top of my head. I'm sure I'm missing a few more.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Feb 4, 2003 10:23 PM ]

Isn't Alan Newman the pitcher who was with the Yakult Swallows for the past two years? 'Cuz if he is, he isn't black.
[ Author: yakult toughman | Posted: Feb 5, 2003 8:45 AM | YAK Fan ]

Alan Newman (Carp) is a white guy! There was a black guy named Al Newman who played for the Twins, now is a third base coach for the Twins.
[ Author: Guest: jose reynoso | Posted: Feb 4, 2003 5:32 PM ]

Hey, what team is Jose Ortiz gonna play for? He's a nice player and I'd like to keep track of what he is doing.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Feb 4, 2003 5:45 PM | YBS Fan ]

Well, looking in the Ask the Commish forum, I see an entry entitled American Players Signing with Japanese Teams. From there there's a link to the 2003 Transactions page which contains your answer.

Hope this helps.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.