Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Sherman Obando?

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Sherman Obando?
Does anyone know the current baseball status of Sherman Obando? Where he might next be playing, etc.?
Comments
Re: Sherman Obando?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Feb 6, 2003 7:41 PM | YBS Fan ]

A quick Google shows that Obando returned to Panama for the winter [El Siglo Digital - Spanish - many more links like this], and even helped Panama defeat Japan in the Intercontenental Cup [Baseball Guru] in Havana last November (2002).

I'm afraid that it's too early to tell what team he'll be with in 2003 with a reasonable amount of searches. There's more information after a player does something - and that means after the season starts. I'd recomment Goggling for him after the beginning of April.

Hope this helps.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Feb 6, 2003 7:58 PM | YBS Fan ]

ESPN is getting to be "less useful everyday" since being moved to MSN. If the pop-ups aren't bad enough (fortunately blocked by Mozilla Phoenix - even an OS X version - please Mac users, stop using IE - it causes a lot of false positives on Intrusion Detection Systems as it doesn't comply with IP standards), they have Sherman Obando on the Rockies for 2001 and 2002, with 0 years of experience. Huh? I confess that my data isn't perfect, but I don't get paid to do this. A professional site should be able to get that much right, right?
[ Author: 1908 | Posted: Feb 6, 2003 9:45 PM | HT Fan ]

According to baseball-reference.com, Sherman Obando hasn't played in MLB since 1997. And according to Baseball America, Obando didn't play organized baseball in North America last year. He did play for Cerveza Atlas Triburones of the Liga de B
Sherman Obando Found
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Feb 8, 2003 10:02 AM | YBS Fan ]

Today's (Feb. 8) Nikkan Sports reports that the Dragons, with all the trouble Kevin Millar is causing, are looking to pursue signing former Nippon Ham Fighter Sherman Obando. The article says that he's currently under a minor league contract with the Marlins.

Yamada-kantoku said, "Even if we start the processing now, he won't be here until after mid-February. There are those who say that it's good to go with a player who's already played in Japan."

Cardinals' minor league outfielder Alex Ochoa (sp?) is also on the Dragons' list of possible replacements for Millar.
[ Author: Guest: Michael Ordovensky | Posted: Mar 16, 2003 6:18 AM ]

Just saw recently that Sherman Obando had just been released by the Florida Marlins on March 8th, 2003. He was apparently in camp for a tryout. With his tools (power, and limited defensive skills) he would be a much better fit in the AL as a DH, in my opinion. For the last 3-4 years I know he was in Japan, playing with the Nippon Ham Fighters.

I guess "San Diego Padres" is a goofy sounding name to the Japanese, huh?

15 days until Opening Day...
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.