Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Yukio Tanaka is a Pitcher?

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Yukio Tanaka is a Pitcher?
I noticed that in 1985 one of the Fighters' pitchers named Yukio Tanaka pitched a no hitter game. Is it that the same Yukio Tanaka who is now the Fighters' infielder?
Comments
Re: Yukio Tanaka is a Pitcher?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Mar 24, 2006 5:26 PM | YBS Fan ]

That's an interesting find. But, no, they are not the same.

The current Nippon Ham infielder Yukio Tanaka was drafted in the third round of the 1986 draft (November of 1985), several months after the no hitter.

The Yukio Tanaka who threw the no hitter was born on Feburary 27, 1959 and was the #1 draft pick by the Fighters in the 1982 draft (Fall of 1981). He pitched for the Fighters from 1982 to 1989, compiling a 25 and 36 record with a 4.23 career ERA.

What's most interesting is that both players were team mates from 1986 to 1989, both with the same first and last names, including their respective Kanji (田中 幸雄).

I didn't pay much attention to the Pacific League back then. Are there any "old timers" who can tell us how the duplicate names were handled? I remember talk of two Ken Suzuki's possibly becoming team mates in the early 1990s with proposed names of "Suzuki Ke" and "Suzuki N."
[ Author: Guest: kappa | Posted: Mar 24, 2006 7:12 PM ]

Pitcher Yukio Tanaka was 田中幸.
Infielder Yukio Tanaka was 田中雄.

Nickname of Infielder Yukio Tanaka is Koyuki (small Yuki).
Pitcher Yukio Tanaka was called Ohyuki (big Yuki).
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Mar 25, 2006 12:12 AM | CLM Fan ]

Ha. I was reading this and thought of the anime/manga called Beck. It's about a young musician named Yukio Tanaka, and since there's a bigger kid in the same class by the same name, they just call him Koyuki. I knew the reference was to Nippon Ham's slugger, but I didn't know the full story until now. Good to know.
[ Author: Jen Wei | Posted: Mar 25, 2006 1:50 AM | HNHF Fan ]

Thank you Mr. westbaystars. I had not come across this web site for a long time! ^_^

And what I found is that the Pitcher Yukio Tanaka was traded to the Chunichi Dragons in 1989, I couldn't find any news about him after that.
[ Author: Jen Wei | Posted: Mar 25, 2006 10:57 PM | HNHF Fan ]

The infielder Yukio Tanaka is call Mr. Fighters! And he wants to collect his career 2,000th hit, and this year maybe he can get that!
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.