Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

official apparel (hats)

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
official apparel (hats)
I was checking around the official team shop websites of some NPB teams, and I noticed that they rarely offer the official replica wool hats that the players wear. And if they do offer them, like the Hiroshima Carp, it would cost 10,000 yen to buy one. Why is this? I'm curious because I guess I'm kind of a hat collector, so I've been interested in purchasing a Japanese team hat for a while.
Comments
Re: Official Apparel (Hats)
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Apr 15, 2006 8:27 AM | YBS Fan ]

Different economy, different market, different prices. Just as some countries have the same goods at cheaper prices than the U.S., other countries may have more expensive articles. Add to that that the dollar is worth about a third what it was 20 years ago compared to the yen, while local inflation has continued, and you'll find large descrepencies in many fields.

You'll need to ask an economist to explain why in greater detail.
Re: official apparel (hats)
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Apr 15, 2006 12:13 PM | CLM Fan ]

Some things in Japan just cost more. A lot of the times, there is no reason to it. Most domestic audio CDs cost 3000 yen, but western CDs will cost the same as in the US. It's also not rare to see a single DVD cost around 6000-8000 yen. They've been trying to bring down those prices lately, though.
[ Author: hillsy | Posted: Apr 15, 2006 2:02 PM | CD Fan ]

I would guess it also has something to do with "hat culture". NPB caps aren't "fashionable" like MLB caps. The only people you see wearing NPB caps is fans at games. I saw plenty of people wearing MLB caps in Japan, though. Greater sales means it can be produced more cheaply.
[ Author: mijow | Posted: Apr 15, 2006 6:13 PM | HT Fan ]

I'll second what hillsy said.

You'll actually see more NY Yankees caps on the street than NPB caps (except perhaps for Yomiuri or Hanshin caps in Tokyo and Osaka respectively). And that's not because the wearer follows the Yankees or because of a slide in popularity of NPB (as some American media commentators appear to believe) but because the Yankees cap is a fashion item.

It's interesting that some teams are starting to sell New Era caps. (Eg Orix: 5800 yen for a fitted wool blend cap - which seems a touch overpriced.) These are also marketed as fashion items.

Most authentic caps are actually not wool but polyester, which is what the players wear. But the price isn't the only weird thing about the "pro" goods. You have to wait two months for the order to be processed. That goes for the custom made jerseys (which you can understand to an extent) but also the caps, which really don't have to be made up specially. Or maybe they do because they don't sell many because the price is too high.
[ Author: holygoat | Posted: Apr 17, 2006 2:10 PM | HT Fan ]

Does anyone know if the Tigers sell knit skull caps with the HT logo in Japan? I'd pay good money for one if they're available.
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Apr 17, 2006 6:33 PM | HAN Fan ]

Yes they are - I have seen white ones with a silver HT logo and they do look nice. There are undoubtably others.
[ Author: mijow | Posted: Apr 17, 2006 7:30 PM | HT Fan ]

There are three, in black, white and beige. They're online at Hanshin Tigers' T-Shop.
[ Author: holygoat | Posted: Apr 18, 2006 3:07 PM | HT Fan ]

That black one is pretty sweet. Would be cooler if it were the more modern non-flip up style, but I just might have to get in touch with my friend in Kyoto to hunt on down for me.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.