Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Pro/Am Tryout Requirements?

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Pro/Am Tryout Requirements?
Question about open tryouts for any team, wheather it's pro or amatuer, in Japan. A quick reply would seriously help me.

So do you have to have high school or college baseball background to tryout for teams in Japan? I played in an outside baseball league, but couldn't play in high school ball due to low grades.
Comments
Re: Pro/Am Tryout Requirements?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jun 17, 2006 9:06 AM | YBS Fan ]

For professional ball, read So You Want to Play in Japan by Gary Garland and So You Want to Play Baseball in Japan by Dan Latham. There are a number of other resources linked to in the FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) on this site as well (which I'm sure you've read before posting).

As for amatuer ball, the poor grades in high school may be a problem. Most amatuer ball players work for a company in some capacity, usually office work. I suppose that a factory position with Nissan, Toyoda, or Honda might be possible, but your work visa will most likely be for labor, not for baseball.

I've heard of foreigners on amatuer teams, but no details about what their "day jobs" are or how they managed to get recruited.

I'd played 12 years for my company's team, but that was just a spring tournament with a few additional practice games against some of our customers - recreational. One doesn't usually go to another country to play baseball recreationally.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.