Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Trading Deadline in Japan?

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Trading Deadline in Japan?
Is there a trading deadline in Japan similar to the one in the Major Leagues?
Comments
Re: Trading Deadline in Japan?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jun 26, 2006 8:56 AM | YBS Fan ]

Yes and no.

There is a deadline, some time around the All Star Break, after which teams can no longer make trades. The signing of new foreign players extends a little longer, I think.

However, trades themselves are nothing like in the Major Leagues. Some teams (Giants) deal players away as a punishment rather than to build a stronger team. Most in-season trades are border-line ichi-gun/ni-gun players that don't really have much of a future on their current teams.

2006 In-Season Trades (through June 24, 2006):
    3/24 Kazuki Fukuchi (Hiroshima to Seibu)
    3/24 Hayato Aoki (Seibu to Hiroshima)
    3/27 Hideki Okajima (Giants to Nippon Ham)
    3/27 Kazunari Sanematsu (Nippon Ham to Giants)
    3/27 Shigeyuki Furuki (Nippon Ham to Giants)
    4/28 Ryutaro Doi (Yokohama to Lotte)
    4/28 Ryusuke Minami (Yokohama to Lotte)
    4/28 Shigetoshi Yamakita (Lotte to Yokohama)
    5/08 Akira Matsumomto (Softbank to Rakuten)
    5/08 Hidemitsu Saitoh (Rakuten to Softbank)
    5/25 Takashi Kawai (Lotte to Rakuten)
    5/25 Ken Shinzato (Rakuten to Lotte)
    6/06 Shinsuke Yamada (Giants to Hiroshima)
    6/06 Takuya Kimura (Hiroshima to Giants)
    6/19 Hiroshi Narahara (Nippon Ham to Chunichi)
    6/22 Katsuhiko Saka (Rakuten to Hanshin)
    6/22 Rui Makino (Hanshin to Rakuten)
As you can see, Rakuten has been the busiest in terms of trades. And I'll confess that these trades have been most likely for the reasons that MLB teams trade, to improve the team. But Okajima's was punishment for not being the closer the Giants wanted him to be.

I totally missed the Kimura/Yamada trade. A veteran player for a career ni-guner? Does anyone know what that was about? To allow Kimura to retire as a Giant? (That's another fairly frequent reason for trades, to allow some veteran the prestige of finishing his career as a Giant.)
Re: Trading Deadline in Japan?
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Jun 26, 2006 11:38 AM | CLM Fan ]

I think the Kimura trade was because of Kyojin's various injuries. Also, Kosaka and Nishi were around the Mendoza line with their bats and Kimura can play a number of positions. He probably wasn't in Brown's future plans, since I'm sure Brown wants to go younger with the Carp. I don't think Kimura got a single call up with the Carp this year.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.