Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Jo Matumoto ?

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Jo Matumoto ?
Dear Commish:

Todays' Toronto Globe & Mail carries a feature story about a Brazilian baseball player (of Japanese ancestry) named Jo Matumoto, who is getting a look in spring training from the Toronto Blue Jays. The article says he played in Japan, but does not name a team. I'm assuming they made a major typo and his real last name is Matsumoto; nonetheless I cannot find his name in your list with either spelling.

Is it possible this is someone who was a ni-gun player for a short time?

Anyway, just interested if anyone else saw the story or knows anything about this person. Thanks.
Comments
Re: Jo Matumoto ?
[ Author: Sharks410 | Posted: Feb 26, 2007 3:02 PM ]

Toronto has signed 36 year old (that is not a typo) Brazilian-Japanese pitcher Joe Matsumoto to a minor league contract and invited him to spring training. The 5'10" lefty features a screwball and once played in the Japanese industrial leagues with Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Nagoya.
[ Author: Mischa | Posted: Feb 27, 2007 9:24 AM | TYS Fan ]

Matumoto played for Brazil in the 2005 Baseball World Cup and presumably appeared for the Brazilian national team in other tourneys. The 2005 Baseball World Cup site lists him name as Jo Matumoto, not Matsumoto.
[ Author: Guest: jade | Posted: Mar 2, 2007 5:50 AM ]

Actually, the name should be said like Matsumoto, but since (I'm not really sure) there are no "s" in Japanese, his name was put that way. I think he played in semi-professional leagues in Japan.
[ Author: Guest: Jade | Posted: Mar 2, 2007 8:05 AM ]

I'm a a big fan of Matumoto. If you want, you can contact me at mafe44 atmark hotmail d0t com
Re: Jo Matumoto?
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Mar 5, 2007 3:38 PM ]

Matumoto didn't have a very effective outing during Sunday's spring game. He entered in the 9th inning and did not get through it. He faced six batters, retired only 1 while walking 3, and gave up a hit and 2 runs.

Boxscore can be seen here [MLB.com].
[ Author: Something Lions | Posted: Mar 12, 2007 2:54 PM | SL Fan ]

His ancestors probably immigrated to Brazil nearly a century ago, hence the funky spelling. There are Inouyes in Hawaii, etc.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Apr 29, 2007 8:35 AM ]

He is doing great right now in the minors. 9.1 innings, 0.00 ERA.
[ Author: Guest: JOE KALESNIK | Posted: Apr 30, 2007 5:49 AM ]

Yea, the Eastern League (2-A ball) is weak so far this year. After college season, maybe some big prospects will come in. The weather has been terrible, and his team, the New Hampshire Cats, are supposed to be strong.

I watched a game on local cable. It was cold and the players were dressed like lumber jacks. Stats right now are misleading. Hopefully May will warm up.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Apr 30, 2007 2:53 PM ]

Actually most college/prospects drafted in June report to short-season A. Most serious prospects do not get to AA until their 2nd/3rd pro season.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.