Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Ballparks

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Ballparks
I'm going to come to Japan in April and/or May and I want to see two or three ballgames while I'm there, preferably at different stadiums. Any recommendations on which are the best/most interesting ballparks to visit?

J. Beresford-Howe
Comments
Re: Ballparks
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Nov 3, 2003 7:15 PM | YBS Fan ]

A good place to start would be the FAQ on getting tickets. In particular, the link to Latham-san's see a game is a great (although aging) article on how to get to the stadiums, ticket prices, and a little on what to expect.

This thread also covers a little of what you're looking for. Please read it, too.

If, after reading these as a primer, you still have questions, feel free to ask.
[ Author: kenwhy | Posted: Jan 18, 2004 6:40 PM | TYS Fan ]

Last year I had the opportunity to visit 3 parks in Tokyo, the Tokyo Dome, Seibu Dome, and Jingu Stadium. Each have their own unique qualities, but I enjoyed Jingu the best. It's an old park with a design that you hardly see any more and located in an area with numerous restaurants. To get the real flavor of this park, buy some food from the outside vendors and sit in right field with the die hard fans. Also, make sure you buy a little green umbrella, you'll find out what it's used for.

Tokyo Dome is a rather sterile, cookie cutter type stadium that reminds me of the old Kingdome. Nothing really unique about it, but it does offer excellent creature comfort along with numerous concessions, restaurants, and restrooms. The Japanese Baseball HOF is located there, too, and offers an interesting side tour.

The Seibu Dome is a unique work of engineering. It was once an open air stadium that now has an umbrella over it. I had to see it to believe it. Getting there is fun, too, because it's about 40-60 minutes outside of Tokyo.

Ken
[ Author: Guest: John Oxtoby | Posted: Feb 28, 2004 4:56 AM ]

Hi. I am student at Harvard University and am currentlly taking a course on Tokyo. I am considering writing a paper about Tokyo baseball stadiums compared to U.S. ones (looking at urban development, etc.) and was wondering if you knew of any books or other good sources of information on Japanese baseball stadiums?
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.