Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

LaRocca's 2007 Salary?

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
LaRocca's 2007 Salary?
Former U. Mass baseball player Greg LaRocca, how much in American dollars is he being paid this year?

I was reading an article in a Boston paper that says $600,000. I find that hard to believe. Please post his salary in US$. Thanks.
Comments
Re: LaRocca's 2007 Salary?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: May 1, 2007 10:24 AM | YBS Fan ]

Well, LaRocca's player page says that he's getting 7,200-man yen this year. Assuming 120 yen to the dollar we get:

72,000,000 yen / 120 yen per dollar = $600,000.

Yep, that figure looks correct.

And other than sitting out the last two games with a cold, he's been earning it this year. LaRocca is currently ranked second in batting average, fourth in home runs, ninth in RBIs, and first in slugging percentage in the Pacific League. LaRocca has been doing a great job making Orix look respectable this season.
[ Author: Guest: JOE KALESNIK | Posted: May 3, 2007 5:54 AM ]

Wow, that is big money. Or is it?

That club that he plays for, do they draw enough to pay that kind of salary?

Let's say, as a measuring stick, that for a club to meet its payroll that it has to draw a certain number of fans. What is the measurement for NPB clubs to draw?
[ Author: Guest: JR | Posted: May 5, 2007 7:33 PM ]

That's not really big money. For a big foreign bat, a player like LaRocca would usually get more. He has put up big numbers in Japan when healthy. The problem is he has not been so healthy the past couple years, so $600,000 is fair. His team, the Orix Buffaloes, fall somewhere in the middle for attendance (see elsewhere on this site for attendance figures), but they have been one of the worst teams the past few years and I don't believe they are known for paying well.
[ Author: Guest: JOE KALESNIK | Posted: May 5, 2007 9:58 PM ]

Thanks for the info. I see this team also has Tuffy Rhodes on it. He was a big home run hitter and lovable player by the fans. I wonder what kind of pay he gets from this team.
[ Author: Jbroks86 | Posted: May 6, 2007 9:02 AM | SFT Fan ]

- I wonder what kind of pay he gets from this team.

Rhodes is making $400,000 (USD).
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.