Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

June 28, 1970 Yomiuri Giants Game?

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
June 28, 1970 Yomiuri Giants Game?
In 1970 we traveled to Japan for the World's Fair in Osaka. We also spent several days in Toyko. While there, my brother and I attended a Yomiuri Giants baseball game. The date was June 28, 1970. Unfortunately, I did not write down the opponent, final score of the game, or any other interesting game information. I know MLB has websites with historical game logs for every team, and was wondering if any of you are aware of such a website for the Japanese league teams or another source to get this info. If it helps, I still have the ticket stub from the game and could scan it and send it to anyone who might be able to help with this request.

Thanks!

Larry Staley
Comments
Re: June 28, 1970 Yomiuri Giants Game?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: May 24, 2007 9:45 AM | YBS Fan ]

They'd probably have that at the Hall of Fame under Tokyo Dome, but I'm rarely in Tokyo while they're open.

From the materials I do have available, I see that Sadaharu Oh hit home runs #425 and #426 on June 26 and 27 against Chunichi that year (the latter against Senichi Hoshino) at Korakuen (their home in Tokyo). Does the ticket stub say "中日" on it?

NPB-BIS' Historical Section [in Japanese] is terribly lacking in anything useful. Unfortunately, that's the closest thing to MLB.com we have right now.

Neither the Giants' nor Chunichi's sites have historical game by game information (before 2005 - I've got box scores on paper going back to 1995 that I eventually want to digitize).

Sorry I couldn't have been of more help.
[ Author: Guest: Larry Staley | Posted: May 25, 2007 12:49 AM ]

Thanks for responding and the information you were able to provide. I can't tell if there is a "??" on the ticket stub. It is very detailed with information on both sides, in Japanese, so very hard for me to make any sense of it.

If you could provide me a separate e-mail I could e-mail you a scanned version of the ticket?

Thanks!

Larry Staley
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: May 25, 2007 7:33 AM | YBS Fan ]

OK. E-mail a scanned version to my handle at mark this domain name (less the www).
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: May 26, 2007 6:39 PM | YBS Fan ]

OK. I've gotten the front and back and can definitely say that this was the Yomiuri Giants vs. Chunichi Dragons.

What's interesting is that it only cost 250 yen for a reserved seat on the third base (visitor's) side. Also, the game started at 7:00 pm instead of the current 6:00 pm start time at Tokyo Dome. This probably had something to do with games taking less time to complete back then.

This gets me wondering, is this why Giants games start at 7:00 pm on TV?

I'm sorry that I wasn't able to track down the score, but thank you very much for sharing this ticket with us. It's very interesting.

[ Author: Guest: Michael Eng | Posted: May 28, 2007 12:07 AM ]

The game in question was the last of a three game set between the Yomiuri Giants and Chunichi Dragons at Tokyo's Korakuen Kyujo. At the time the Giants were in first place of the Central League while Dragons were in fifth. The Giants won the game 8 to 6 on 17 hits with no home runs while the Dragons had only eight hits but four home runs. Akira Takahashi (#20, 高橋 明) was the winner while Hisatoshi Itou (#16, 伊藤 久敏) was the loser.

Source: The History of Nippon Professional Baseball, 1934-2004

Hope this helps.

Michael Eng
[ Author: 20X6!! | Posted: May 31, 2007 3:06 PM | FSH Fan ]

To, say, an American tourist, the price would seem like nothing as I think the exchange rate for a dollar was 360+ yen.

Of course, now those types of tickets at the Tokyo Dome are, what 6,000-10,000 yen?
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.