Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

John Davis of Orix?

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
John Davis of Orix?
Is Orix's John Davis the former Major League pitcher or some other guy by the same name?
Comments
Re: John Davis of Orix?
[ Author: Jbroks86 | Posted: Jul 20, 2007 9:32 AM | SFT Fan ]

I can't find any knowledge on their website [Orix Buffaloes Official Website - in Japanese] or at Sponichi of a John Davis on the Buffaloes. Also this site [Buffaloes 2007 via Nifty] has no mention of John Davis.

Did manager, Terry Collins, even bring John Davis with him as it mentioned over at Japan Baseball Daily in the September 30, 2006 and October 26, 2006 reports. It mentions there was a possibility that Davis would be the bench coach, but that went to Daijiro Oishi.

Another one of the reports shows him as a batting instructor and the bullpen coach, but according to the Nifty Buffaloes page, it shows Jon Debus as the batting coach and Shusaku Beppu as the bullpen coach.

Finally, in this press report from MLB.com, it says that Debus was the 2006 minor league catching coordinator for the Dodgers. The only reason I mention this is that one report from Japan Baseball Daily mentions that John Davis was the Dodgers minor league catching instructor in one report.

I'd like to know, is there really is a John Davis with the Buffaloes?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jul 20, 2007 9:53 AM | YBS Fan ]

Um, Jon Debus == John Davis when pronounced in Japanese. Is this a transliteration error? He has a photo here [Orix official site]. (They have his last name written both ディーパス and ディーバス on the same page. I think that some clueless intern was put in charge of entering his name and that this is, in fact, a transliteration error.)

Is the photo on the page above the John Davis the original poster was looking for?
[ Author: Guest: Mischa | Posted: Jul 21, 2007 1:39 AM ]

It was a transliteration error. I got the John Davis from Gary Garland's site - it was Jon Debus. I'll e-mail Gary to let him know.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jul 21, 2007 8:19 AM | YBS Fan ]

I guess I owe an apology to an Orix intern.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.