Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Japanese Conditioning

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Japanese Conditioning
Hi,

I remember reading this great book about Japanese baseball, but unfortunately don't recall the title at all. The one thing that really struck me was how the author kept emphasizing the insane conditioning Japanese players, both position and pitching, go through. How they drill and run until they drop. How pitchers throw and throw with very little regard for their arms, and how MLB pitchers and their five days rest are coddled babies compared to Japanese pitchers.

Granted, this book was published at the very latest in 1980, but I was just wondering, is this still the case today? Do Japanese players work harder than the average million dollar making MLB pro?

Thanks for your time.
Comments
Re: Japanese Conditioning
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Mar 29, 2004 10:43 PM | YBS Fan ]

Perhaps "You Gotta Have Wa"? Please check the FAQ about books on Japanese baseball, or the book reviews forum for Whiting's latest which expands on "Wa."
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.