Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Picture of 333

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Picture of 333
I have a picture I'm looking at here of a rather large man pitching for the Japanese Giants. His number is 333. I was wonding if this is a "real" picture and if you could give me some info on this gentlemen. Name, age, etc.
Comments
Re: Picture of 333
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Apr 22, 2004 8:58 AM | YBS Fan ]

From your description, I'd guess that it's Giant Baba, either throwing out the first pitch in a game or throwing in an exhibition game of some sort.

Shohei Baba was a very tall (2 meters!) pitcher drafted by the Giants out of high school. He only pitched 3 games in 1957, winning none and lossing one, before shoulder trouble forced him into retirement -- where he went on to become one of the most popular pro wrestlers of all time.

Baba was born on January 23, 1938 and was 61 years old when he passed away in 1999. You can see one fan's eulogy here.

Without seeing the picture, that's my guess.

The "person" who normally wears 333 for the Giants is their mascot, the Gabbit (a combination of "Giants" and "Rabbit," as their "YG" logo morphs into something resembling a rabbit).
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.