Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Shinjo's Salary

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Shinjo's Salary
I was wondering what your view was on Tsuyoshi Shinjo's salary. If he was a player deemed good enough for the majors and he did return decent stats, why is he salary so low?
Comments
Re: Shinjo's Salary
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: May 26, 2004 8:35 PM | YBS Fan ]

Well, on the one hand, looking at his salaries in Japan [Shinjo profile page], he is making more this year than the year before he left. Does anyone know what he was making at AAA? I'd imagine that with the super-stardom attention he gets here, as well as product endorsements, the higher salary is a bonus over another year in AAA. Besides, 8,000-man yen is still a digit more than I earn.

On the other hand, he was offered over 1-oku yen before leaving for his North American challenge. It looks like the Tigers decided they didn't need him after all.

I was never under the impression that his returning salary was too low.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: May 26, 2004 11:42 PM ]

I may be wrong, but from what I recall, Shinjo was offered close to 2-oku per year for a multiyear contract not only with Hanshin, but also with the Yokohama BayStars who were also pursuing him. He, however, decided to take the challenge and accepted a contract with the New York Mets for close to $1 million.
[ Author: Jen Wei | Posted: May 27, 2004 11:43 PM | HNHF Fan ]

I think he will hit more than 20 home runs this year career and get his one thousandth hit. He will have done better in Japan than he did in the Majors or Minors.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.