Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Stadiums?

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Stadiums?
Thanks for this site, it is very helpful.

I was confused last week while in Japan. The Giants play most of their games in Tokyo Dome, but were also then playing as the home team in Saporro Dome. I'm confused, are the home fields desginated the same way they are in the US?

Thanks
Comments
Re: Stadiums?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jun 25, 2004 11:29 PM | YBS Fan ]

The bylaws simply state that a given team must play at least half of their games at a particular "home" stadium. If you look at the schedules (click "Teams" above, then "schedule" to the right of a given team) for teams other than the Giants, you'll see each team playing about 20 games a year in around 50 different locations throughout Japan. I can do a tabulation if you like, but would rather get some sleep right now.

I've seen a number of North Americans complaining about Montreal playing a large number of games in Puerto Rico. I don't understand what's the big deal. It gets Major League Baseball (or Nippon Professional Baseball over here) to places that don't often get to see games, spreading its appeal.

I remember dreaming as a kid that the San Francisco Giants would tour out to the Central Valley for a series, giving me a chance to see them live without an eight hour drive to Candlestick and another eight hours back. I could bicycle to the game rather than rely on my parents to take off work to go. Now just think of some of the places throughout the country where they're farther than eight hours away, and you can start to get an idea as to why bringing baseball to small towns is a Good Thing(tm). When I first heard about teams travelling to small villages to play regularly here in Japan, I thought it was wonderful!

The Giants, though, require big stadiums where ever they go. That's why when the Giants go on the road they play at Osaka Dome, Fukuoka Dome, and now, Sapporo Dome. The Giants are Japan's team, and with that, they can only play in large metropolitin areas. Before Sapporo Dome was built, they played at Maruyama Kyujyo for their yearly migration north. It was significantly smaller, to say the least, yet always filled with standing room only crowds.

I've heard from friends that the old Lotte Orions (before they moved to Chiba) went through a period where they didn't have one particular stadium that they called "home." Well, they called Kawasaki Kyujyo home, but shared it with the Taiyo Whales (before their move to Yokohama), yet played a very large portion of their games at third party stadiums. The impression I'd gotten was that over half their games were away from Kawasaki, but that may have been hyperbole. I'd love to hear from someone with more historical knowledge about the travelling Orions.

Another resource you might find interesting is Warren Cromarie's "Slugging it out in Japan" [see books FAQ for ISBN]. If I recall correctly, he spun a tale or two about trips to the country in it.

In short, though, trips to "home away from home" stadiums aren't that uncommon, although the Giants leave Tokyo Dome less than the other teams.

Hope this helps.
[ Author: Guest: Luis Raul Villamizar | Posted: Jun 28, 2004 11:26 PM ]

Each time I read an answer like yours I learn more about the society description trough Japanese baseball culture. It shows your education. It is amazing to think the variety of situations around a sport larger-than-life.

Congratulations.

Lui Raul Villamizar
[ Author: torakichi | Posted: Jun 26, 2004 3:22 PM | HT Fan ]

I think it's a good way to take top-quality baseball to places that wouldn't usually get to see it. When two teams play in a location that isn't technically their "home base" - I mean, MLB teams opened the season in Japan, right? So, it's not unheard of - someone's got to be the "home" team even if it's just a formality.

The Hanshin Tigers play as the home team in Okayama, Osaka Dome, and Nishi-Kyogoku (out Kyoto way).
[ Author: Guest: Bob Kelley | Posted: Jun 26, 2004 8:12 PM ]

Thanks for the help, your answer was very informative. I enjoy your site.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.