Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Why not Kyoto?

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Why not Kyoto?
Hi, I'm a newbie here and I like to keep myself up-to-date on Japanese baseball. I was just wondering why Rakuten or Livedoor did not choose Kyoto as a possible home city for their prospective clubs? Last time I checked on the internet, Kyoto had over 1.4 million people and Sendai just over 1 million. Wouldn't 400,000 more people make more of an impact? Is there something about Kyoto that makes that city an unmarketable place for baseball? Just wondering.
Comments
Re: Why not Kyoto?
[ Author: mijow | Posted: Oct 15, 2004 9:53 PM | HT Fan ]

I think they're all Tigers fans in Kyoto.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Oct 16, 2004 12:13 AM | YBS Fan ]

Kyoto is very close to Kobe, which is Orix territory. Hanshin holds most of the Kansai area in its grips, and Koba and Kyoto both fall in this area.

The Tohoku region is much riper for the picking than putting another team in the Kansai area. Even Shikoku, which would make another great place for a team, is closer to baseball (Hiroshima and Osaka) than the Tohoku region, yet significantly farther from Hanshin influence than Kyoto.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Oct 16, 2004 12:05 PM ]

Well, here is the population ranking in Japan as of 2001 [Link - PDF file in English from Japanorama.com] (this is for anyone who is interested in this stat).
[ Author: torakichi | Posted: Oct 16, 2004 11:50 AM | HT Fan ]

There would also be stadium concerns. Kyoto is a major city and I assume its municipal grounds are already in regular use by its citizens. So annexing the ground like Livedoor or Rakuten intend to do in Tohoku isn't really an option.

Building a new stadium is the alternative, but I imagine it would be impossible to actually locate it in crowded Kyoto city. That leaves outlying areas like Kameoka, Kurama, or Yamashina, and you've got to wonder whether people are actually going to go to such inconvenient places (some of which don't have the most developed public transport in the world and only a few roads in and out) just to see a baseball game.

Remember: Kyoto is already a traffic/transport nightmare. It's a tourist mecca and a densely populated city; roads are clogged and public transport runs at almost full capacity in the city center.

Orix's ground was in the same situation: it's in Kobe city, but only accessible by one subway line that doesn't run through the major residential areas. No wonder their games were sparsely attended.

As was discussed in other threads on this site, if you're going to set up a baseball team, it'd be best to do it in a region that doesn't have a team already. Livedoor/Rakuten have the right idea with Tohoku.
[ Author: Sara B | Posted: Oct 20, 2004 8:11 PM | HT Fan ]

Too bad there couldn't be a women's team in Kyoto. The Kyoto Geishas (or Maikos). More in keeping with the character of the place.
[ Author: Guest: Gary Garland | Posted: Oct 21, 2004 9:05 PM ]

Iirc, the Shochiku Robins used Nishi Kyogoku Stadium as their home ballpark (I think they also used Osaka Stadium for a time as well) until they were absorbed into the Taiyo Whales. So Kyoto has hosted pro baseball before. But Shochiku ended up in Kyoto only thanks to maneuvering by the Nankai Hawks to head them off from coming into the Osaka market proper. So Kyoto, while a large city, may not be all that great a baseball market for whatever reason.

In any event, putting another team in the Kansai area is unlikely to gain approval from the other owners. So the big baseball club there right now is Heian High School.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.