Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Aaron Guiel?

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Aaron Guiel?
I've always been a huge Guiel fan. Is he still playing? I haven't seen his name in the box score for some time.

Thanks.
Comments
Re: Aaron Guiel?
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Jun 20, 2008 9:35 PM ]

Guiel has been playing with pain in his elbow. So he was sent down (ni-gun) a couple weeks ago. But yes, he is still playing with the Yakult Swallows.

He had a very good start this season too; too bad he got hurt.
[ Author: Guest: frank | Posted: Jun 21, 2008 2:35 AM ]

I didn't know that Japan had minor leagues. That is interesting. What team is he with now?

Thanks for your reply.
[ Author: number9 | Posted: Jun 21, 2008 3:04 AM ]

Yeah, injury severely limited his production after his hot start. And now he's rehabbing in the minors. Hasn't made an apperance yet on the farm team, so I reckon he's still in the middle of rehab. Hopefully they won't rush him back. He's very valuable (even though Swallows fans fixated on the batting average, instead of the more important OBP and SLG and so don't realise his value to the team).

A healthy Guiel and Aoki, along with Hatakeyama, would be a force to be reckoned with in the middle of the order.
[ Author: Guest: frank | Posted: Jun 21, 2008 4:17 PM ]

Thanks for the info.
[ Author: Guest: Garrett | Posted: Jun 24, 2008 10:29 AM ]

With a .298 OBP and .425 SLG, Swallows fans were more enamored of Guiel than they should have been as far into the season as they were. Those numbers combined with his .212 batting average made him unimpressive. Among Swallows with more than a few dozen at bats, he was near the bottom in productivity. (Better than Riggs, also dealing with injury, and Fukukawa, but very few others who made regular appearances.) Hopefully, he'll be back to form once he heals up.
[ Author: Guest: guest | Posted: Jun 26, 2008 4:30 PM ]

I think Guiel raised his batting average a bit, but he's still kind of average. Sometimes foreign players' batting averages are overlooked as long as they hit for power. But Guiel doesn't hit for very good average and he is not that great a fielder, so I'd say he's a bit over-rated.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.