Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Seguignol

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Seguignol
I noticed in last night's Eagles game, Fernando Seguignol was called up and put in the line-up.

With Rick Short and Jose Fernandez, doesn't that make three foreign batters?
Comments
Re: Seguignol
[ Author: Guest: guest | Posted: Aug 17, 2008 12:46 AM ]

I believe the Pacific League allows 3 now. The Hawks had 3 foreign batters a couple years back as well.
[ Author: No.1BayFan | Posted: Aug 17, 2008 1:05 AM | YOK Fan ]

That "gaijin rule" or whatever has been suspended temporarily because of the Olympics. I think teams can have a max of 5 (gaikokujin) players on their team. I may be wrong, but this was posted somewhere else on the forums.
[ Author: Jbroks86 | Posted: Aug 17, 2008 7:49 AM | SFT Fan ]

Yes, that would be correct. Rakuten's three foreign hitters are Seguignol, Short, and Fernandez. Pitcher Marcus Gwyn would be the other foreign pitcher, as Domingo Guzman was "dropped for readjustment."
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Aug 17, 2008 6:04 PM | YBS Fan ]

Please read the foreign player FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions). It sounds like you're still thinking of pre-2002 rules.

I had read that during the Olympics, teams supplying the Olympic team with 3 or more players may have one more foreign player on the top team. But I have been unable to confirm such a rule with any primary source.
[ Author: nilurie | Posted: Aug 18, 2008 5:27 AM ]

Hm, odd. I could have sworn that CJ Nitkowski mentioned the 2 limit player rule in his blog. I stand corrected though.

Thanks for the responses.
[ Author: Deanna | Posted: Aug 18, 2008 12:48 PM | NIP Fan ]

He did, but it was the 4 player limit. The Hawks have uhh, CJ, Powell, Restovich, Standridge, Houlton, and Guttormson on their roster I think? As a result, a few guys always have to be in the minors.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.