Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Full Inning Games

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Full Inning Games
Of course Kanemoto has played in over 1,000 straight full inning games. Does anyone know who is currently #2 on the active list? I have to give a presentation on Kanemoto to my students, so just want to be able to show how impressive his streak is.
Comments
Re: Full Inning Games
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Oct 1, 2008 9:55 PM | YBS Fan ]

According to the Japanese Wikinews, and backed up by a number of links to newspapers at the time, Kanemoto surpassed Cal Ripken Jr.'s 903 consecutive games playing full innings on April 9, 2006. He's now surpassed that by almost two full seasons.

Is that an impressive enough name and gap for your students?

As an aside, MLB also plays about between 20 and 35 more games (it's changed numerous times in Japan) in a season, meaning it takes a bit longer to accomplish here in Japan. I would say that he gets more rest on the other hand, but that wouldn't be true considering the hard practices Japanese go through even on off days - and Kanemoto is known to be a hard worker.
[ Author: Guest: gotigersredsox | Posted: Oct 2, 2008 12:14 AM ]

OK, thanks for all the great info as usual. I did the same presentation last year and at that time I believe Ishii Takuro (?) was number 2 at 198. But I don't know if that streak is still alive. Of course all information about the streak is impressive, just fun to show how far behind everyone else is compared to Kanemoto on this.
[ Author: Deanna | Posted: Oct 2, 2008 11:38 AM | NIP Fan ]

Heh, sadly, Takuro hasn't been playing much at all this year, so no.

The Fighters' Hichori Morimoto had a streak of playing every inning of 221 consecutive games earlier this year - until Giants' pitcher Kentaro Nishimura hit him with a pitch and broke his hand on May 25th.

I'm not sure who the other big playing streak people are these days.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.