Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

League Leader Stats

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
League Leader Stats
Sorry this might be a stupid question, but my brother plays baseball over there and he is on the league leader page for pitching under the stat HPs. I thought it was for hit by pitch, but on his stat page that is indicated as HBP and he only has one. Can you please tell me what this stat means? I cannot find this anywhere.

Thanks.
Comments
Re: League Leader Stats
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Oct 4, 2008 9:04 AM | YBS Fan ]

HP would be Hold Points. Holds and Hold Points were introduced in the late 1990s to give middle relievers a feeling of accomplishment (and as leverage in contract negotiations).

Hope this helps.
Re: League Leader Stats
[ Author: Deanna | Posted: Oct 4, 2008 12:16 PM | NIP Fan ]

And for more specific information on "what is a hold?" you can consult things like Wikipedia.

But I agree with them that the definition is not always the same, and maybe it is even different in the NPB. Still, the idea is that a relief pitcher comes in when their team has the lead, and they pitch well and hold that lead and the team still has the lead when they leave, to get a Hold Point.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.