Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

First-Year Managers and Japan Series

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
First-Year Managers and Japan Series
This is a quote from the Japan Times yesterday about the first-year managers for the Lions and Buffaloes:
The manager who wins the Climax Series title will earn the chance to become the first manager to win the Japan Series in his first season with his club.
Hasn't this been done a couple times before? I believe by Hara and the Lions' manager in 2004?
Comments
Re: First-Year Managers and Japan Series
[ Author: Rocksfan | Posted: Oct 6, 2008 10:24 PM | CHU Fan ]

I took a quick look at Japan Baseball Daily's list of managers and came up with the following list of managers who won the Series in their first season managing (in addition to Hara in 2002 and Itoh in 2004):
  • Tetsuharu Kawakami, 1961 Giants
  • Motoshi Fujita, 1981 Giants
  • Masahiko Mori, 1986 Lions
  • Hiroshi Gondoh, 1998 BayStars
[ Author: Guest: guest | Posted: Oct 7, 2008 11:07 AM ]

Yeah, I was pretty sure it had been done before. Maybe the writer meant that it would be the first manager in his first year after the Climax Series was introduced. He seemed to be suggesting this, but there may have been an error in the editing process. Given the editing quality of English newspapers in Japan, this isn't a surprise. After all, this article appeared the same day that the Japan Times ran the exact same article on two different pages!
[ Author: PLNara | Posted: Oct 7, 2008 4:32 PM | HT Fan ]

Wasn't that Gondoh's second stint with Yokohama?
[ Author: Rocksfan | Posted: Oct 8, 2008 12:40 AM | CHU Fan ]

- Wasn't that Gondoh's second stint with Yokohama?

Not according to Japan Baseball Daily. They only have Gondoh managing Yokohama from 1998 to 2000.

- Maybe the writer meant that it would be the first manager in his first year after the Climax Series was introduced.

Itoh won the Series after the Climax Series was introduced in 2004 (although I don't think it was called that), so I don't think that was it. It might be that if the Buffaloes win the Series, their manager might be the first to take over a team in mid-season and win the Series. I don't know if anyone's ever done that before.
[ Author: Guest: guest | Posted: Oct 8, 2008 4:57 PM ]

- It might be that if the Buffaloes win the Series, their manager might be the first to take over a team in mid-season and win the Series. I don't know if anyone's ever done that before.

That seems more likely. But from the context, I don't think that's what the writer meant. Again, it could have just been poor editing. The sports sections in English newspapers here are often full of errors.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.