Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

2008 NPB Draft

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
2008 NPB Draft
What did you think about the recent draft? Yokohama picked Keijiro Matsumoto out of Waseda as the number one overall pick. Word has it that this guy is the next Ichiro and is sometimes referred to as "Baby Ichiro" by pro scouts.
Comments
Re: 2008 NPB Draft
[ Author: No.1BayFan | Posted: Nov 4, 2008 1:00 PM | YOK Fan ]

In regards to Yokohama's first pick, I don't really care if Matsumoto is the "next Ichiro." They totally messed up this one as there is a glaring need for pitching in the farm system and at the top league level right now.

I've really tried to keep quiet about this, but when I read this, I had to comment. Now, if they are going to use this kid as "trade bait" of sorts, that I could understand, but I really don't think that's what the team has in mind.

Again, I'm left in the dark as are many others, I'm going to assume.
[ Author: Guest: Guest | Posted: Dec 30, 2008 3:07 AM ]

I realize that this is an old thread, but I just need to add this.

When Matsumoto posts, Yokohama will receive enough money to pay for two or three seasons of payroll and possibly get the so-called great pitching their fans are looking for. You have to always remember that baseball is a business and building a winning team comes second.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Dec 30, 2008 10:23 AM | YBS Fan ]

- When Matsumoto posts, ...

I suppose this is a very long term and optimistic view of the draft, assuming that Yokohama's purpose is to be a feeder for the MLB (which I don't believe it is).

I realize that baseball is a business. However, the best way to put people in the seats and sell a lot of merchandise is to build a winning team. Winning and doing business are not mutually exclusive. And drafting a player in the hopes of selling him to the highest bidder in 8 years is not a very sound business model.
[ Author: PLNara | Posted: Dec 31, 2008 11:26 AM | HT Fan ]

Agreed. I'm as bullish as anyone on Japanese players coming to America, but I don't think any team drafts a player just to post him. Posting to me is akin to the Indians trading CC Sabathia because they knew they weren't going to be able to retain him.

No franchise will be sustainable, either competitively or financially without developing a steady pipeline of talent. NPB payrolls are mostly in the $20-$30m range (thinking in US currency) and only two guys have commanded a fee that high.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.