Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Dave Ohkubo's Status?

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Dave Ohkubo's Status?
Dave, the Lions' coach, was in an incident this August where he allegedly hit a woman in the 30s. The woman complained to the police, Dave was questioned by the police, and he admitted that he did, in fact, hit the woman. I wondered if the Lions' organization or NPB will take any actions towards Ohkubo's incident or how this case will be resolved.
Comments
Re: Dave Ohkubo's Status?
[ Author: DaClyde1 | Posted: Nov 24, 2008 10:54 AM | OBs Fan ]

The way you wrote that, it sounds like he recently hit a woman 70 years ago.
[ Author: Guest: N26 | Posted: Nov 25, 2008 10:15 PM ]

Yeah, it was probably not well written. August is not that recent to begin with, but more recent than 70 years ago.

I heard the news about this incident for the first time during Japan Series this year and I heard Ohkubo come with a public apology during the Series. But Ohkubo was in the Seibu dugout throughout the Series.

What I want to know, and so far I have not been able to see any news on this matter, is whether Ohkubo will get some kind of punishment from Lions or NPB.

In a sort of similar case a couple of years ago, the TV host and comedian, Shimada Shinnsuke, was in an incident where he had been violent towards a woman as well. Shimada made a public apology, but he was also banned, perhaps by his agent, Yoshimoto, or the various TV stations to host TV shows and to be on any TV program for some time. After he had served his punishment he later went back as a TV host and started appearing on various shows again, but there was a period of time where he was not seen on any TV.

With Ohkubo, it seems as if he only made a public apology, and did, in fact, admit to the police that he did indeed hit this woman, but neither the Lions nor NPB has taken any actions towards him. He probably has to pay the woman who he hit, but I have not heard of him having to pay any fine to Lions or being banned for a certain period of time from baseball.

Ohkubo's words have been puzzling, too, from the little research I've done on this matter. He has told the press that he did not hit this woman, but he has apparently told the police that he did hit this woman.
[ Author: Guest: N26 | Posted: Nov 26, 2008 10:19 PM ]

Sorry for the double post.

I guess this incident has been quite an embarrassing affair for Ohkubo. He did not participate in the Lions' parade after winning the Japan Series title, nor was he at the Seibu family dinner party where players bring their family members. In the tabloid press rumors have it that the woman he hit was his girl friend. Ohkubo has apparently gotten a warning from the club and the owner of the club has already made a public statement like apology on this matter. I guess that's that then.

Source: Sanspo
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Dec 7, 2008 1:41 PM | HAN Fan ]

According to today's Daily Yomiuri, Okubo has been forced to resign as coach over this incident. He will be assigned to the front office.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.