Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Baseball Signatures Identification

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Baseball Signatures Identification
Hi, I have a signed "official league baseball" with the main writing in black ink being "CHUKYO," other words "Shabata" or something similar, and another signature that is very difficult to make out, but it could be "Naguyuta"?

I am hoping someone may be able to give me any background information on this, or at least confirm the names on it.

I am not sure when it dates from but it will be at least 30 years old, possibly much older.

There is also a logo with a Tokyo Isono Trade Mark, and is cows hide cover NO. A.A.

I can provide photos, if anyone thinks they maybe able to identify this.

Thanks

Richard

[Updated on Jun 12, 2009 7:07 PM JST with photos.]
Comments
Re: Baseball Signatures Identification
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jun 12, 2009 9:27 AM | YBS Fan ]

Send some photos to my handle @japanesebaseball.com. I'll post them.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jun 12, 2009 7:51 PM | YBS Fan ]

Well, it just so happens that there was a "Shibata" who was the catcher for Chukyo High School (second ball) in this past Spring's national high school invitational tournament at Koshien. Using that as a hint, I looked up all of the professional players with the last name Shibata. But none attended Chukyo, I'm afraid. So I don't see any relationship between those two balls. But that doesn't mean that there wasn't a Shibata on Chukyo 30 years ago. I just don't have any such information.

The third ball (third and fourth photos) looks like "Kazujunta" or something similar, which sounds like a given name, while Shibata is a family name. But such a name doesn't sound familiar.

There are some high school level international competitions each year, which would be a reason for a high school kid to sign his name in Romaji (the Western alphabet). Perhaps that's where they came from? You didn't state how you came to be in possession of these balls.

Hope this helps.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Jun 13, 2009 2:07 AM ]

Thanks for your reply. That gives me something to go on.

The photos are actually all of the same one ball.

I believe my Great Uncle brought it back to the UK, and it ended up at the back of a cupboard for years - I've just held on to it for the last 15 years not really knowing anything about it.

As I say, it could be much older than 30 years. I just don't know.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.