Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Jolbert Cabrera to Japan (But Which Team?)

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Jolbert Cabrera to Japan (But Which Team?)
According to this article (MLB.com) the Mariners have sold utility man Jolbert Cabrera (MLB.com) to an "unnamed" Japanese team.

Has anyone heard which team?
Comments
Re: Jolbert Cabrera to Japan (But Which Team?)
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Jan 6, 2005 5:53 AM ]

The Mariners announced after signing free agent infielder Pokey Reese that they have sold the contract of IF/OF Jolbert Cabrera to an unknown Japanese team, though it still seems that the team Cabrera was sold to is a big unknown at this point.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jan 6, 2005 8:13 AM | YBS Fan ]

Today's (January 6, 2005) Nikkan Sports claims that Softbank will make an official announcment once Cabrera has signed within the next few days. That means that he hasn't yet signed, and may still not. But the team is apparently the Softbank Hawks.

The Japanese press is playing this up as showing that Son-owner is willing to spend any amount of money in signing players. Son-san's dream is to have not just the Nippon Ichi (#1 in Japan) team, but to have a World Champion team (i.e. play and defeat the top team in MLB for a true "World Series").
[ Author: TimC51 | Posted: Jan 7, 2005 12:35 PM ]

Whoops! I seem to have started the same topic twice! I must have forgotten which forum I posted it in. (I thought it was in Nichi-Bei, but when I didn't see it I figured it must not have gotten through somehow, so I reposted it. Sorry for the "gomeiwaku."

So if he doesn't sign with Softbank, does that make him a free agent or does Seattle retain his rights?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jan 7, 2005 2:08 PM | YBS Fan ]

No problem. I think you did post it to Nichi-Bei, but I thought this was a more appropriate spot. Nichi-Bei and Rumor Mill are more for players going in the MLB direction. My bad.

As for Cabrera's free agent status should he not sign with Softbank, that depends on how he was released from Seattle. News in the Japanese press has still been scarce, but it looks like it's just formalities from here out. Then again, I didn't expect Iguchi to be haggling over salary in his attemt to go to MLB, so there may be some surprises in store.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Jan 7, 2005 9:40 PM ]

- So if he doesn't sign with Softbank, does that make him a free agent or does Seattle retain his rights?

It would make him a free agent as Seattle placed him on unconditional release waivers to make room on their 40 man roster. [Link - MLB.com]
[ Author: TimC51 | Posted: Jan 8, 2005 12:37 PM ]

That's interesting. The original story said they "sold" him, but if he has been placed on unconditional waivers, then he is already a free agent and can sign with any team in any league. Why would Softbank pay Seattle for that, since there is no guarantee he would sign with them? Maybe the payment is conditional? If it was me, I would want an agreement among all three parties, both teams and the player, before committing to pay anything, and before releasing Cabrera.

Anyway, assuming he does sign in Japan, I hope he does well. With Batista and Cabrera on the team, I think the Hawks will remain favorites to win the Pa-league.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Jan 11, 2005 11:16 PM ]

Softbank signed Jolbert Cabrera to a 2 year $2,700,000 deal (280 million or 2.8-oku yen). [Link - Japan Ball]
[ Author: Guest: Jim Albright | Posted: Jan 13, 2005 6:00 AM ]

He played enough in the majors that we can project his stats to 450 or so AB either using his career or his last two years:

Last two years:
AB: 430
H: 127
2B: 32
3B: 2
HR: 12
BB: 25
Avg: .296
OBP: .335
Slg: .462

Career:
AB: 428
H: 118
2B: 25
3B: 1
HR: 8
BB: 27
Avg: .276
OBP: .319
Slg: .394

If he can produce at the rate of his last two years in the majors, he's a good pickup. If not, he plugs the hole at second for a while.

Jim Albright

About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.