Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Why Doesn't Seibu Play Hirao at 2B All Year?

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Why Doesn't Seibu Play Hirao at 2B All Year?
I was looking at the stats for the Lions, and was comparing Hirao to Hiroyuki Takagi. Hiro had 0 errors at second base compared to Takagi's 8. Hirao also had far superior hitting stats in control and power. Is Seibu sticking with Takagi due to loyalty? They also increased his salary a little.
Comments
Re: Why Doesn't Seibu Play Hirao at 2B All Year?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Mar 13, 2005 7:47 AM | YBS Fan ]

That is something I was wondering last year in the Nippon Series. Takagi had the regular spot all year, but, if memory serves me correctly, Hirao got the start for most of the play-offs and the Nippon Series. If Hirao was the better choice for the Series, then why not for the regular season?

Both players have been with the Lions for over 10 years now. So it's hard to apply the normal idea of veteran loyalty. Perhaps loyalty to a fixed pattern where Takagi is the regular and Hirao is the backup?

The only other idea I can come up with is a righty/lefty platoon. But I don't have the splits to justify that as a reason. Does one of your games provide batting splits against right and left handed pitchers?

It seems that I've brought up more questions than answers to this one. But I was wondering the same thing last October.
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Mar 13, 2005 10:58 PM | CLM Fan ]

Actually, Takagi has played with the Lions his whole career. Hirao came up with the Tigers.

Pawapuro has batting averages against lefties and righties in My Life Mode, but they don't have that info for the default rosters. In other words, I don't have anything.

I'm guessing they go with Takagi because he's a "pure breed Lion" or something. Hehe.
[ Author: Guest: Kappa | Posted: Mar 14, 2005 11:21 PM ]

Hirao had a chronic lower back pain last year. He couldn't play after July until just before the play-offs. His health was the main reason that he couldn't get a regular position.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.