Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Pro Teams: Only 12?

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Pro Teams: Only 12?
I was surfing today and found this site. It is very detailed with stats for 12 Japanese teams. Are these professional teams, like MLB teams in the USA?

If so, I see there are two leagues - the Central and Pacific. Do the winners of each league meet and have a Series Championship playoff at the end of each year, similar the the MLB?

I am curious because here in the States, if you don't have cable or satilite TV, you can't see any MLB games. I therefore have not seen any MLB games in 3 years.

I have created an update to FSP Baseball '98, an old but very popular stat driven PC game. I have input all 750 players of the 30 MLB teams, so I can simulate the 2004 season again. I am currently updating all 30 teams to having their 2005 opening day 25 man rosters.

I was thinking, it might be real interesting to create a Japanese update for the game. If there are only 12 teams, it would be easier to follow, having fewer players and teams. That is the reason for my basic questions.

Regards

N99kid
Comments
Re: Pro Teams: Only 12?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Apr 5, 2005 1:42 PM | YBS Fan ]

Yes, there are 12 teams, six in each of the Central and Pacific Leagues. Each team has a single farm team. The farm system is broken up into the Eastern League, which has seven teams this year, and the Western League, which has five teams this year. (It was six teams in each up until last year, but certain events in 2004 changed that.

Nippon Professional Baseball (NPB) has been around since 1936. To get a more detailed understanding of the teams, leagues, and history, please have a look at the Pro Yakyu Wikipedia that is currently under construction.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.