Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

May 10 - 12 Yomiuri Giants Game

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
May 10 - 12 Yomiuri Giants Game
I will be in Japan the week of May 8th and plan to attend the Yomiuri Giants game against the Orix Buffaloes on May 11th. I was told this is just an exhibition game, not a regular season game. Is this true? I don't really follow baseball in Japan but I believe I read somewhere that this was the first year they were going to have "inter-league" play in the regular season. Is that the case with this game? Also why don't the times of the game show up on this site? I was told it begins at 6:00pm (18:00). Thanks for the info!
Comments
Re: May 10 - 12 Yomiuri Giants Game
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Apr 7, 2005 11:11 PM | YBS Fan ]

May and June are to be the inter-league months. They are not exhibition, but are counted in the standings, as your follow up states.

I didn't finish the times? Sorry about that. Other things interrupted and I didn't get back to them. Thanks for the reminder.
[ Author: 20X6!! | Posted: Apr 8, 2005 2:32 PM | FSH Fan ]

Just a precaution: I would assume you already have tickets, because the Giants' home games are usually guaranteed sell-outs, no matter who they're playing.

If not - the Swallows are playing the Fighters that night at Jingu (6:20pm) (only like 10-15 minutes by train from Tokyo Dome). You'd have a much better chance.

Or if you want near emptiness, you could always catch the Seibu game (which is about 30 minutes north of Tokyo, hence it's low attendance for the defending Japan champions).

The Marines are also playing the Tigers in Chiba (30 minute ride East of Tokyo) which provides for a very unique baseball atmosphere (the fans behave more like soccer fans).

Just letting you know about your options that night. Or, you could do something similar to what I did back in 1998 - Tokyo Dome one day, Seibu the next, Chiba the next, Yokohama the next. You'd definitely get your fill of Japanese baseball.
[ Author: Guest: Frank | Posted: Apr 8, 2005 10:20 PM ]

Thanks a lot. I really appreciate the fast responses. I was able to have someone in Japan get me a ticket in section B41. According to the seating chart it looks like I'll be on the third base side. I may have gotten lucky with getting a ticket this late because I was only looking for a single ticket.

Not sure if someone would know this, but the week I am there the Yankees will be playing the Seattle Mariners at home. Will I be able to catch this game on TV? I am a big Yankees fan.
[ Author: torakichi | Posted: Apr 10, 2005 1:00 PM | HT Fan ]

With a game featuring Ichiro and Matsui, it's likely that NHK will carry it late at night.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.