Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Take me out to the balloon game - it's opening day in Fukuoka

Discussion in the Pro Yakyu News forum
Take me out to the balloon game - it's opening day in Fukuoka
Like so many of the opening days I have enjoyed in my career, opening day in Japan was special. A new baseball season was about to begin 7,000 miles away from home, and yet the feelings were the same as always - excitement and high hopes for the upcoming year.

The highlight of the pregame festivities at the Yahoo! Dome in Fukuoka was a traditional drum ceremony, called a Taiko. A group named Nijyo Kizuna Taiko gave the fans an exciting performance. I was told the beats they played were specific to Fukuoka history and that different regions of the country have their own individual Taiko rhythms. Decked out in traditional Japanese dress, these young men and women put on quite a show.

[Full Article: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/baseball/mlb/wires/04/12/2010.ap.bbo.cj.s.japanese.journey.adv14.1032/]
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.